mtbr member
    May 2009

Tricks to cut hydraulic hose?

I'm swapping brake lines on my elixir R's. I just bought some Jagwire Hyflow Universal lines and a quick fit kit. I'm a noob to this...what's the best way to make a clean cut on the brake hose without crimping the lines?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Take a razor blade ( a sharp one) and slowly roll the line under the blade gently while gently pushing down. The blade will cut through cleanly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've used my cable cutters and cleaned the end up a little with no issues. Small tip, push the hose firmly into the reservoir body while tightening the compression nut and don't stop pushing until you're done tightening. If you don't the hose can back out a little and cause the compression fitting to move too far to the end of the hose and you'll have a leak.

b a n n e d
    Best tool is the one designed for the job . . . but whatever you use, it has to have good leverage and be SHARP. You cant to cut through the line quick, not crush it. If you crush the interior hose, your barbs might not fit snug anymore.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

LightJunction.com
    Your LBS should have a hydraulic line cutter. I can't imagine they'd charge you much, if anything, to cut one line. You could try the razor blade method, but it's always best to use the right tool for the job.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    whatever makes a flat clean cut. I've used razors, box knifes, Japanese kitchen knives. All work if they are sharp and steady.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

I'm Slow
    Buy this little guy: http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Hydrau.../dp/B0037N6A4W

It works great and its cheap, its what I use.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    I always used a pair of decent cable cutters to cut braided hose (Goodridge). Are there better methods? Dremel, anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have used a tubing cutter from Home Depot to cut hydraulic brake lines multiple times and it makes very clean and straight cuts effortlessly. It's made by Rigid (RIDGID PC-1250 Pipe Cutter, Store SKU # 483594). I found it in the plumbing section for less than $18. There is another one similar for around $12 but I liked the way the Rigid one looked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    A sharp razor blade, steady hand and a straight surface is all you need to cut the lines. I just trimmed the hoses on my elixirs to fit and the razors cut through them clean and straight.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Another razor blade advocate here.

Tip: cut several practice cuts a couple inches past (longer) than where you plan to actually cut your hose, to get technique down, no matter what the tool.

If you were trimming existing lines, you wouldn't even necessarily need to bleed the brakes.