mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Trek 6000...Hydraulic barkes ??

Hi everybody.. i was wondering if i would be able to put hydraulic brakes on my 08' Trek 6000. If i can do this, where can i buy the stuff I need and what can i expect to pay. Thank You all....Ride on

I don't know your bike particularly; not all bikes (even with the same model designation) are equipped the same, so it's best if you're specific about the components you have now and what you want to change them to. Do you have v-brakes now or disc brakes? If you've got v-brakes now and your frame and fork have disc mounting tabs you should have no problem putting disc brakes on. Hydraulic discs come with their own levers, so if you have a combo shift/brake lever now, you'll need to get new shifters as well. You'll need wheels with disc mounts, if you don't already have them. Prices vary quite a bit depending on quality. What's your budget?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I do have disc brakes now...I did some research and i think i might skip the hydraulics and go with a better disc brake than what i have now...Maybe AVID BB7's or somethin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bought some front and rear used '08 Avid Juicy 5's (Hydraulic) for $100 about a week ago on my local mountain biking board (marketplace). They included the rotors, levers, brakes, and mounting hardware. The pads were good and still have some life left. These brakes retail around $240 plus tax if I had bought them brand new.

Installing them is pretty simple as long as the cables are already cut to the size you need on you bike....all you need is a set of Allen keys.

(I used to have the BB7's which are good brakes, but the Hydraulics feel easier since there is no cable drag like on the mechanicals)

Quote Originally Posted by mtbnutt
    I do have disc brakes now...I did some research and i think i might skip the hydraulics and go with a better disc brake than what i have now...Maybe AVID BB7's or somethin.
    Either the BB7 or go hydraulic...but with the BB7 you might consider an Avid lever, too for leverage adjustability (speed dial).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

"that guy"
    Aug 2008
    I`ve also got the 6000 and i`ll be looking to upgrade mty breaks this summer. Let me know what you find, i can`t decide whether to go hydraulic or get the bb7`s. good luck with the hunt