mtbr member
    Jun 2009

torx wrench for rotor bolts

Are rotor bolts pretty much universal? What size torx wrench is standard for this purpose?

Thanks,

Rob

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    t25

~Disc~Golf~
    yeah, t25 - but make sure you get a decent bit,driver...most people strip torx bolt-heads because of ill-fitting/ cheap tools (like the one that tends to come w/ rotors).
    A proper fitting/decent Torx is actually stronger than an allen 'system' - though, people seem to have more problems with Torx (per the reason above )
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    yeah, t25 - but make sure you get a decent bit,driver...most people strip torx bolt-heads because of ill-fitting/ cheap tools (like the one that tends to come w/ rotors).
    A proper fitting/decent Torx is actually stronger than an allen 'system' - though, people seem to have more problems with Torx (per the reason above )
    Hey, that sounds like something I've done before!

Yeah, I was going to get a decent Craftsman set. Is it necessary to tighten them with a torque wrench?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rosborn
    Hey, that sounds like something I've done before!

Yeah, I was going to get a decent Craftsman set. Is it necessary to tighten them with a torque wrench?
    Not required, but it's really a good practice. You are putting a steal bolt into an aluminum hole. So, it rather easy to strip the thread with some std joe wrench.

It's also nice to know you rotor bolts are unlikely to come loose while riding, if you are the type that is gentle with a wrench.

You can get a small Park bar torque wrench for 30-40 usd. That is a small price to pay. A broken rotor bolt in a nice hub will cost you more in blood, sweat and tears. Besides you can use the wrench on other parts of your bike
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    Not required, but it's really a good practice. You are putting a steal bolt into an aluminum hole. So, it rather easy to strip the thread with some std joe wrench.

It's also nice to know you rotor bolts are unlikely to come loose while riding, if you are the type that is gentle with a wrench.

You can get a small Park bar torque wrench for 30-40 usd. That is a small price to pay. A broken rotor bolt in a nice hub will cost you more in blood, sweat and tears. Besides you can use the wrench on other parts of your bike
    It's even more: you're trying to uniformly torque down SIX bolts in an alternating fashion. And what if you're a Weight Weenie like me, and your rotor bolts are made of Titanium? )

Definitely do get a small Park torque wrench (1/4").

Or go Centerlock... I'm long tempted to do just that; would buy a CL set of Hope Pro 2 hubs without hesitation.
    26" faithful.