mtbr member

Too much lever pull required on Avid Juicy 3's

The topic title may be a bit dumb, but my problem is following:
    I have adjusted my brake levers to sit quite close to the grips so that I reach the levers easily, but now the levers almost touch the grips when I use the brakes hard enough. Is there any way to make the lever move less, ie. the brake pads to sit closer to the disc?

Meh.
    You either need to bleed the brakes, or pump out the pistons. To do the later, remove the wheel and squeeze the lever a little at a time to move the pistons out.

mtbr member
    If there's no air in my brakes, does bleeding do anything? I thought the added fluid just enlarges the bladder in the reservoir. Or do I have to put too much fluid into them, so the reservoir can't take all the added fluid and it will prevent the pads from retracting fully ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Verskis
    If there's no air in my brakes, does bleeding do anything? I thought the added fluid just enlarges the bladder in the reservoir. Or do I have to put too much fluid into them, so the reservoir can't take all the added fluid and it will prevent the pads from retracting fully ?
    sorry to be direct, the previous post gave you good advice, pump out the pistons first by removing your wheel to get the pads closer to the disk. don't over-do it, its possible you'll get the pads too close then you'll have to pry them apart and then you'll be back to square one.

if that don't work, bleed the brakes, there's really no way to tell if you do/don't have air other than how your brakes are peforming.....everytihing is sealed but no seal is perfect, your brake fluid degrades over time, absorbs moisture, you can get small air bubbles, etc. etc.

if you do the bleed, and you have good pads, and you have pumped out the pistons, then you probably have a problem in the brake lever/cylinder mechanism itself.

Meh.
    If the lever feels squishy, the brakes need to be bled.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    After you get the pads closer to the rotor, come on back and ask us how to get the pads to quit dragging or "singing" when you take turns.

If there is no other problem, I suggest you compromise on the reach and cure the problem at the source instead of using methods that may bring up other problems.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Could it possibly be worn pads as well?

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    After you get the pads closer to the rotor, come on back and ask us how to get the pads to quit dragging or "singing" when you take turns.
    isn't this a consequence of fork flex??
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    isn't this a consequence of fork flex??
    Yes and if the pads are moved closer to the rotor then normal, they are apt to start rubbing. There is very little clearance to start with.

Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    On average, riding 3-4 times a week, how frequently are you all replacing your pads? Over a month ago, I purchased my first MTB with disc brakes. In Colorado, I'm using my brakes more than ever!

I jumped into this thread because after having my rear wheel trued, I need to squeeze the lever more than before. What would have the shop done just removing the wheel! I need to enroll in a bike maintenance class! I'm the opposite of a wrench...