official eMpTyBRain

New question here. Titanium hardware safe on disc brakes? Where to get it?

Trying to shave off grams anywhere I can for my new bike build.

Considering how hot disc brakes can get, is it safe to use titanium mounting hardware on discs and calipers?

I am seeing scattered offerings for titanium hardware on the web. Looking for one-stop shopping for a complete bike titanium hardware upgrade, anyone know who I can go to for this?

Thanks,
    'hawg
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes, it's safe.

Watch you don't round out the heads on the rotor bolts.

Just to let you know, you won't save much, IIRC 20g~30g. Just take you steel bolts and the Ti ones will weigh about 1/2. BUt if you are a WW those grams will add up.

I get my bolts from torontocycles.com, but there are alot of other places too.

RaceBolts.com

Titaniumfasteners.com

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    http://www.mtbti.com

That's where I get all my bolts. Brake bolts (rotor, caliper, and clamp) will run you about $100 for a full set (both brakes). As I recall that saves roughly 50g. So not the best $ to g ratio, but those bolts look so nice.

For about $150 you can get enough bolts for your brakes, stem, shifter clamps, and seat post clamp

If they don't have the your particular parts listed on the site, it's no big deal, bolts are pretty standard. All you need to do is measure the diameter of the bolt, and the length of the threaded section for each bolt you need, and sent that to them.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Ask Torontocycles if their Ti hardware is made out of 6Al4V Titanium or CP Titanium? If it's CP Titanium then stay away from it.....CP Titanium is not strong enough for critical fasteners. I would pick safety over weight savings any day.