I <3 29ers

Titanium brake booster?

Looking into brake boosters for my ride. Noticed there are titanium boosters out there. Is it just me, or does this seem counter-intuitive? A naturally flexible material to stiffen brake posts ..... just doesn't seem right.

Anyone have any experience with these? Is there any benefit, other then saying "it's tiiiiiiii!"?????

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

ride hard take risks
    Ihave used aluminum only, im with you though Ti brake flexer.

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like a strange move... I guess if it was thick enough it might have some effect.

I used to run a shimano carbon brake booster on my light weight aluminium hardtail, and it noticeably made a huge difference.

Still have it floating around here somewhere...

Dave.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I would agree with you. Wrong material for the job and would cost more to boot.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I <3 29ers
    Okay, at least I know i'm thinking in the right terms, then. Thanks all!

Seeing as how Low_Rider mentioned it - what about carbon boosters? Carbon is supposed to be stiff, but I can't help but think that a well designed aluminum booster is better (best?) for the job (okay okay, i'm comparing with what I know about frame's - sue me!).

Thoughts? Searching doens't seem to bring up much with carbon boosters. (shrug)

I ask because i'm in the market and right now i'm pretty content with my experiences with Tektro T-2 boosters. I need another one and while I don't mind experimenting I don't want to go spending tons of time/money on this. I need that for other more important areas.

PATIA!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Okay, at least I know i'm thinking in the right terms, then. Thanks all!

Seeing as how Low_Rider mentioned it - what about carbon boosters? Carbon is supposed to be stiff, but I can't help but think that a well designed aluminum booster is better (best?) for the job (okay okay, i'm comparing with what I know about frame's - sue me!).

Thoughts? Searching doens't seem to bring up much with carbon boosters. (shrug)

I ask because i'm in the market and right now i'm pretty content with my experiences with Tektro T-2 boosters. I need another one and while I don't mind experimenting I don't want to go spending tons of time/money on this. I need that for other more important areas.

PATIA!
    Aluminum is a great material for the job. Cheap, light and stiff if designed properly or just use a lot of it.

Carbon can be very good at the expense of cost. Shimano makes/made some for XTR.

Shimano also made thin stamped steel boosters for U Brakes.

My favorite boosters were the tubular steel IRDs.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

A wheelist
    Looking into brake boosters for my ride. Noticed there are titanium boosters out there. Is it just me, or does this seem counter-intuitive? A naturally flexible material to stiffen brake posts ..... just doesn't seem right.
    Anyone have any experience with these? Is there any benefit, other then saying "it's tiiiiiiii!"?????
    I've had Ti boosters on my winter beater mtb for about 5 years. One-time mtbr regular Dave "Moonlighter" Gallacher used to make them from scrap and a CNC machine. I spoke with him just a couple of weeks ago and while I don't think he's made any for years, he did have some left. If anyone's interested then PM me and I'll put you in touch. I've no idea if he has any non-Magura ones.

Flexible? Expensive? Neither. How you gonna flex this sukkah? I think they cost me like $25/pair at the time. I could be wrong and I've no idea what he would want now.

He custom made them and as I don't run fat tires I went with the minimal clearance version shown here.

I know Ti is about the same weight as Alum and I have no idea if it's stiffer or not but they sure are trick!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

A wheelist
    Anyone have any experience with these? Is there any benefit, other then saying "it's tiiiiiiii!"?
    I just found this stuff FYI on my Magura Cult site (I can't remember 1/2 of what's there!) -

Alum (Ionic made) - 26g
    Carbon Fiber (Liken made, once sold by Magura USA) - 34g
    Ti (Moonlighter made) - 39g
    Steel ( the old Magura std.) - 49g

Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

PATIA!
    titanium isn't naturally 'flexy', its naturally SPRINGY.... hence its usage in place of steel as a spring medium on suspension forks/shocks.

Given how MOST brake boosters were aluminium plate of some sort (stamped, cast or machined) and that by weight, aluminium is 1/3 as stiff as steel, and ti is 2/3 as stiff as steel. So a 60g Ti booster will be stiffer than a 60g aluminium booster but not as stiff as a 60g steel booster.

As it happens, Odyssey was basically the only maker of a Ti booster plate in the old days, but they made tens of thousands of them and you see them on ebay NOS still to this day. Only time you encountered steel boosters usually were on Maguras, U-brakes and power-cam brakes, and magnesium was only used by Brodie, so everyone else its aluminium. Oh except for two companies...shimano had carbon boosters as an option for the XTR V-brakes and Liken Composites (a quebec, canada company) had CF boosters for V-brakes, Cantilevers, and Maguras. I was a Liken dealer btw, and still have several NOS carbon boosters left (none of the magura ones unfortunetly).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I almost added to mine (I never scroll past where I'm responding before actually responding) how I'm pretty sure I had sole some of the Liken CF magura boosters to MikeT and BigDave and a bunch of other magura cult members on here in the 1997/98 time period and they may still have them.

Then I read Mike's response and I guess he still has at least one Liken booster, albiet with the magura decal on it.

Hey mike, need some HS-22s? I got like 8 NOS ones left...
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I'm pretty sure I had sole some of the Liken CF magura boosters to MikeT and BigDave and a bunch of other magura cult members on here in the 1997/98 time period and they may still have them.
    I dunno who I got my Maggie CF boosters from Upie ~ it could have been Thorsten. Funny you mention Big Dave - I spoke with him a week ago via (e-mail) for the first time in about 5 years. He doesn't ride anymore.

Then I read Mike's response and I guess he still has at least one Liken booster, albiet with the magura decal on it.
    I had a pair of 'em but I guess I sold them a long time ago. The decals were made by a buddy of mine who was in the vinyl decal cutting business.

Hey mike, need some HS-22s? I got like 8 NOS ones left...
    I can't say as I do Upie. I've got one set (all I need) and I don't hear much call for them anymore.