Riding or Fishing

Tips for removing rotors from hubs?

I picked up a pair of Avid G3's for a steal, so I want to replace the Roundagon rotors.
    No matter how hard I try, I can't get the bolts to turn. I'm guessing it's the Loc Tite doing it's job. Now, how can I go about getting them loosened?
    I think I read somewhere about trying to heat up the bolt with a soldering iron, which will remelt the Loc Tite...does this actually work?
    Anything else I can try?
    Thanks!

banned
    What kind of tool are you using? You might simply need to spring for a socket and a ratchet, but make sure they're good quality. Don't need to go about stripping bolts.

Riding or Fishing
    I tried using the "key" that came with the BB7's I bought a couple years ago. I also tried using a straight, screwdriver type torx driver, with no luck.
    It IS still lefty loosy, right?

mtbr member
    Yep, still lefty loosy. I use a torx screwdrver, not a lot of torq req. You might have to turn harder if the bolt's been there for awhile.

mtbr member
    I like using a socket wrench with hex head bits. I find it easier to give that quick snap to break the locktite loose.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

A longer lever arm usually solves any difficulty, using a screwdriver type handle or the short l-shaped tool that comes with the Avid brakes can be much more difficult. A T-25 bit on a regular ratchet handle usually works well.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

squish is good
    It won't kill you to try heating the bolt up first, might get it so you can pop the bolt out with the tools you have. If all else fails go the ratchet method, it's next to impossible to strip a torx bolt head, I bet the head would snap off before it stripped. When you install the new rotor just use the screwdriver torx tool. That helps prevent over-torquing and is much nicer on the hands than the little key tool.
    Bike good, work bad.

banned
    HAH! I can show you a few!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by musky
    I think I read somewhere about trying to heat up the bolt with a soldering iron, which will remelt the Loc Tite...does this actually work?
    Anything else I can try?
    Thanks!
    Yes heating the bolt does melt the loc tite.
    I actually use a small butane torch to do this, and you will see a small puff of smoke when the loc tite does melt.

Riding or Fishing
    Well, I managed to get the bolts loosened using the little tool Avid provides. I used a piece of pipe to lengthen the tool to gain more leverage.
    However, all that did was break the tool. Luckily, it left me enough room to attach a pair of vice grips which gave me the leverage needed.
    Thanks for all the tips. I may need em again if I decide to switch back for the winter!