mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Tips of Polygon Rotor hitting the Caliper J7's

I'm looking for suggestions on how to eliminate this. I've got a singlespeed w/ sliding dropouts. I recently changed the rear cog from a 16 to an 18 and had to add a link to the chain. In order to get enough tension on the chain, I have to pull the wheel back and its causing the tips of the polygon rotor to hit the caliper of my J7's.

Should I (A) dremmel the tips of the rotor or will this screw up the breaking

(B) put a couple of washers between the caliper mount and caliper or will this screw up the geometry somehow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Shut up and enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd throw some washer's inbetween the caliper mount and the frame. Done it for a couple of brakes.
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

Meh.
    Washers between the caliper mount and the frame will not do anything unless it's a post mount frame. It will change lateral but not vertical. You need to space the caliper up, use spacers between the caliper and the adapter. It will work fine.

Dremeling the rotor could leave burrs. And you likely won't remove an even amount of material from each hump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Washers between the caliper mount and the frame will not do anything unless it's a post mount frame. It will change lateral but not vertical. You need to space the caliper up, use spacers between the caliper and the adapter. It will work fine.

Dremeling the rotor could leave burrs. And you likely won't remove an even amount of material from each hump.
    doh, that's what i meant.

I'm better with pictures than with words.
    Tips of Polygon Rotor hitting the Caliper J7's-diagrams.jpg
    I don't wear a helmet, I wear a turban protector!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    did it, done, and worked like a charm. thanks for the advice mtb cats!!!

now for that damn turkey squabble (kidding). its seems to have been covered.
    Shut up and enjoy the ride!