mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Time for new brake system

So it appears that I have fully worn out my rear brake lever on my mtb, on rough trails the lever 'fiips' forward and I can't reach it anymore, it seems to pop out of a retaining pocket.

The bike has Hayes hydraulic disc brakes now, all they say on them is Hayes so I'm not sure what model, they are probably from ~2004 or so.

I currently have Bomber 66 20mm front fork which the manual lists that it has:
    "Disk brake mount: XC International Standard for 6" disk (fitting the special adapter supplied by the brake system manufacturer you can install the
    8" disk)."

I have an 8" disk on the front I'm pretty sure, as it is larger than the rear one.

The frame is a Santa Cruz Bullitt, with again a hayes disc brake adapter for the rear, with I believe a 6" rotor.

These pics show the bike a little goofy as I recently upgraded the whole drivetrain to 10-spd shadow plus shimano deore xt gear (with the clutch ) and I took these pics during the process, and they are the most recent pics I have.

My big question is, what brakes can I buy that will simply bolt on with no modifications? I would like to try something other than Hayes this time around as finding pads for these is always a hassle.

I had my eyes on these -
    Shimano M675 SLX Disc Brake | Shimano | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

Will they work with my current caliper adapters and rotors and simply drop right onto my bike?

If not, would these?
    Hayes Stroker Trail Disc Brake | Hayes | Brand | www.PricePoint.com
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    They should go on fine with the brackets you have already. If not you can usually find the brackets pretty easily at the LBS or online.

The SLX m675 is an excellent choice and you will notice a huge improvement over the Hayes, they come pre-bled and it is real easy to cut the line to the desired length without having to re-bleed.

mtbr member

Rebuild it

Those look like Hayes HFX Mag HDs. They're totally rebuildable. The symptom you're describing sounds like a worn out master cylinder in the lever assembly. Rebuild parts shouldn't cost more than about $30, with instructions on Hayes' website.

You'll also need a bleed kit.

Pads for those brakes are available just about everywhere - they were once one of the most popular disc brakes out there. I get mine off eBay. But if you're set on replacing them, that's your call.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Those look like Hayes HFX Mag HDs. They're totally rebuildable. The symptom you're describing sounds like a worn out master cylinder in the lever assembly. Rebuild parts shouldn't cost more than about $30, with instructions on Hayes' website.

You'll also need a bleed kit.

Pads for those brakes are available just about everywhere - they were once one of the most popular disc brakes out there. I get mine off eBay. But if you're set on replacing them, that's your call.
    thanks a lot for those links, I always prefer to rebuild if I can I just had no idea what the specific model was.

and yes, pads can be ordered, but at the 4 LBS's that I tried, none had any in stock when I needed a set, and ordering a set took over a week so I missed out on a few rides because of them
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er