mtbr member

time to change brake pads?

so, I just upgraded from old Avid v-brakes, to a new set of Avid elixir 5 hydraulic disc brakes a few months ago. Recently, I lost almost all stopping power in the front and no longer can even lock the wheel from movement. I inspected and noticed nothing wrong except that the tiny horseshoe lock smaller than my fingertip was missing. Is this a sign that I need to replace the pad or something much worse? ( Also, I did try putting the horseshoe from the back on the front. the rear brake still worked great and the front had no change)

mtbr member
    1. Check if the pistons are moving when you pull the levers.
    If no. Problem: Stuck pistons.
    If yes:
    You got your pads/rotors contaminated with oil or what not.
    Google how to fix that, I just got home from working late. I'm WAY too lazy too post a how-to. Sorry for being a dick.

Oh and I have NO idea what you mean by "horseshoe lock"

Ride or die
    That little C-clip (horseshoe lock) is there to prevent the retaining bolt from backing off. It has nothing to do with brake performance. Follow the earlier responder's advice. I would just add one thing, if the levers feel spongy and depress to the bars, then you probably need to bleed the brakes, which is really easy with the Avid bleed kit.

Members who have read this thread: 0