hmmm.

Tightening V-Brakes

I recently got a bike with v-brakes (used to discs). When tightening down the brake pad, it rotates. How do you hold the brake pad from rotating while tightening it?

Meh.
    Hold pad with one hand, turn allen key with other. Or Squeeze the lever so that the pad is flat against the rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Hold pad with one hand, turn allen key with other. Or Squeeze the lever so that the pad is flat against the rim.
    +1

Also worth noting: They don't need much torque, on Shimano V-brakes the torque for the pads is 6-8 Nm which isn't much. On the two bikes of mine that have V-brakes they are barely starting to move when the torque wrench clicks at 8 Nm and holding them in place against the rim by squeezing the brake lever is more than enough. I imagine that 6-8 Nm is standard as all V-brake pads attach the same way.

If yours are really moving for some reason you can always hold the end of the pad with an adjustable wrench to get some leverage on it.
    You can also compensate by setting them a bit off then letting them spin into place as you tighten them but it might take a few tries.

hmmm.
    Yeah I was pushing them into the rim. I had figured I should really crank on 'em, after all don't want it coming loose. Didn't know the torque wasn't exceedingly high.