mtbr member
    Oct 2011

tight brakes, after tires off.

I took my front and rear tires off and put my bike in the trunk of my car to go MT. Biking today when we got there, I noticed I must have pressed my brakes together, both front and rear. The hydraulic pads were closed to the point I could not put my tires on. Good thing my buddy had a brake pad spacer and I used it to compress the pistons and get the tires back on. They are still tight and when I free spin my tires they stop after a few rotations. How do I fix this? Do I have to bleed the brakes or something? O I did loosed the brake mounts and re adjusted them... only helped a little. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    O by the way they are Juicy three hydraulic disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Did you take your "tires" off or did you remove the wheels?

mtbr member
    How far back into the calipers did the spacer push the pads? You can use a flat screwdiver blade to carefully push them right back in and then re-install your front wheel and test them again.
    Also, you may want to get some spacers and use them whenever you have the wheels off to stop any recurrence this.

Huckin' trails
    If you are using 9mm and 10mm standard QR hubs, you need to be careful to tighten them back to the same tension every time you remove the wheel, because the flex of the fork and frame will not match correctly the one it had when you adjusted the brakes at first. You can get special skewers to fix this or you be careful when tightening your QR to be sure the rotor get to the right position each times.

That's why front 15mm and 20mm axle and rear 142x12, 135x12, 150x12 axles are useful. Always get the same tension, so auto align the wheel and no more rotor hassle.

But since I use BB7, I don't have to worry about my pads going nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the Info, so went to the local bike shop and got a plastic brake spacer they just gave it to me. used it to push the disks apart then re balanced the brakes over the rotors. It works great!