Thread: Ti Rotors

Philze

Ti Rotors

I am looking to import these and see there is an issue with braking due to the distribution of heat and the brake pad compound. Would they work better if the rotors were thinner, say 1.8 mm. Is there a material to be added to the rotor, that would help the pad brake better? Say a mixture of alloy? Or is it better to find a pad that works with the existing material in the rotor.
    [SIZE=5]Aaron T. Collins[/SIZE]

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by philze
    I am looking to import these and see there is an issue with braking due to the distribution of heat and the brake pad compound. Would they work better if the rotors were thinner, say 1.8 mm. Is there a material to be added to the rotor, that would help the pad brake better? Say a mixture of alloy? Or is it better to find a pad that works with the existing material in the rotor.
    That's a poor material for a rotor. I had a set for a while and it wasn't a good experience. Others around here have tried with stock pads and non stock pads and there were no positive results as far as I remember. Do a search here as this has been discussed before.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Do It Yourself
    There is a company I know of that is working with a certain motorcycling brake mfg on Ti rotors for bicycles. Something about needed special treatment to work properly with regular pads. So it's a possibility but I really don't think those cheap Chinese Ti rotors will ever work out though.
    Long Live Long Rides

Bodhisattva
    Ti rotors for bikes are being used and at a high performance level. I've seen them.
    I expect that they will be commercially available in the not so distant future. Evidently the problems with heat can be, and have been, overcome. Weight savings for a set of rotors is almost a half pound over steel.
    Life....the original terminal illness

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Ti rotors for bikes are being used and at a high performance level. I've seen them.
    I expect that they will be commercially available in the not so distant future. Evidently the problems with heat can be, and have been, overcome. Weight savings for a set of rotors is almost a half pound over steel.
    I just weighed a 160mm Ti rotor and a Marta wave (my lightest SS rotor). Ti = 69g. Marta = 107g. Diff = 38g or 1.34oz.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

Bodhisattva
    That weight savings was allegedly made on larger rotors. I'm not sure if the reference was 180 or 210mm.

A wheelist
    That weight savings was allegedly made on larger rotors. I'm not sure if the reference was 180 or 210mm.
    If you're not careful I'll go & weigh a 140 for ya!

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    If you're not careful I'll go & weigh a 140 for ya!
    140???

Gee Mikey. You might as well not even have brakes. In fact, you prolly don't even need them up in flat old Ontario.

Let's bring back the stick & metal bar. Someone should ressurrect that thread. It was classic.

A wheelist
    140???
    Gee Mikey. You might as well not even have brakes. In fact, you prolly don't even need them up in flat old Ontario.
    Let's bring back the stick & metal bar. Someone should ressurrect that thread. It was classic.
    Yeah a 140 is equal in power to a well-dragged Walmart sneaker. It's as flat as p!$$ on a plate up here in my part of Ont so most times we don't need no brakes.

Actually, for me anyway, a rear 140 does a nice job.

Metal bar? Hah that was jdcamb's attempt to copy my Oak Branch Instant-On Zeero Modulation emergency brake. Of course he failed and went off into the sunset, or prolly the weeds.

**Now that I'm using CX-Ray bladed spokes I've had to go back to the drawing board with the Oak Branch due to longevity issues.