Thread: Ti Rotors?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Ti Rotors?

Any thoughts on if there is a market for titanium rotors?
    Im a designer at Max Mfg in Bend, OR and drew up a design last night.
    I just cut a couple sets for my single speed and thought I might try to sell em.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ti Rotors?-cimg2442.jpg  

Ventana La Bruja
    Piked,
    Hadley'd
    Hugi'd
    Hucked and Chucked..........

Custom built CroMo Cruzer SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There might be, depending on the cost id assume?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Also depends on braking performance. give em a try, experiment with different pad compounds. what is the weight difference vs alloy?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I dont notice a difference from the stock Avid stainless rotors....running stock pads in my Ultimates.
    The weight is noticeable....havent put em on a scale......
    Ventana La Bruja
    Piked,
    Hadley'd
    Hugi'd
    Hucked and Chucked..........

Custom built CroMo Cruzer SS

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    LOTS of companies have tried titanium for rotors... it doesn't work. Ti has a really poor heat conductivity rate so you end up with squealing brakes and generally over-heated pads.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Thermal Conductivity:

3Al/2.5V Titanium 8.30 W/m-K

7075-T6 Aluminum 130 W/m-K

300 Series Stainless Steel 11.6-18.7 W/m-K

Meh.
    Coefficient of friction is also different. Hardness of material is different.

That design with straight legs for the rotors is not particularly inspiring.

Lots of liability concerns when you sell a product. Are you an engineer? Have you run stress analysis? Have you tested these rotors to failure on a brake dyno or in real life?

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The best material to make rotors from, and you're probably want a high pressure flowjet cutter to mill them, is an MMC as was popular to make frame tubing out of in the early to mid-90s. Its REALLY hard (meaning it'd be long wearing), conducts heat almost as well as aluminium, and has a good friction coefficient.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I would be really curious to try those, if they work, what can you say. I know a friend of mine cut some out of stainless at work, on a water table, and he did not heat treat them at all, and they warped INSTANTLY!!!! It was amazing, they woudln't even pass through the caliper, and we hadn't even really started riding. What about a two piece, with cool looking spider, and stainless braking surface. Or contact the coating guys and see if they could put some ceramic on the braking surface, they may have an idea. The price is going to be up there, but these days, there would be guys buying them. They may never ride them, but they'd want them!