Thread: Ti Rotors ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Ti Rotors ?

I bought these Titanium rotors from an online store out of Canada. I was all excited when I put them on the bike thinking, Wow!, I'm saving some weight. It only took about three rides before I noticed while barrelling down a steep desend that sparks were shooting out from the rotors about a foot long. It looks as though either titanium is not a good material for a rotors or maybe a special brake pad material should have been used. Can anyone answer this for me?

mtbr member
    Wow. I bet they weren't cheap but at least you got the benefit of a light show with them! (Attempted humor.)

I've heard with Ti (and/or Ti coated) rotors of people using ceramic pads. This may not be the definitive answer for you but at least it's a start until someone wiser than me posts.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mofoki
    I bought these Titanium rotors from an online store out of Canada. I was all excited when I put them on the bike thinking, Wow!, I'm saving some weight. It only took about three rides before I noticed while barrelling down a steep desend that sparks were shooting out from the rotors about a foot long. It looks as though either titanium is not a good material for a rotors or maybe a special brake pad material should have been used. Can anyone answer this for me?
    I did some reading several years ago...

Go Cart disks are Ti and they do have special pads etc.

keep going!
    Does the place where you bought them have any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    No help from the retailer. I was reading about Scrub's rotors and got thinking. They recommend resin pads. Unless I get these rotors resufaced they are pretty much usless anyway. Some nasty grooves were worn into them just from that short amount of use. But I still wonder what went wrong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    a lot of pads are semi metallic. metal on metal is a bit of a no-no. esp with Ti. I would highly recommend the resin pads. I have them on my LX hydro's and love them. no squeal like everyone else J5's

mtbr member

ti in it's pure state is highly flameble

same level as magnesium probably look really cool going downhill like a comet

I think I need to Upgrade
    Do you have a link for these rotors? I want some for my night rides!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    From Toronto Cycles I'm guessing... and it says right on the web page that you should not use sintered pads.
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

This Space For Rent
    Quote Originally Posted by adept1
    From Toronto Cycles I'm guessing... and it says right on the web page that you should not use sintered pads.

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Rotors.html

[SIZE="1"]I will list concerns with ti rotors on the FAQ page shortly[/SIZE]
    Yeah, sound like that would be a good idea, dude.
    -Brian

banned
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slappomatt
    a lot of pads are semi metallic. metal on metal is a bit of a no-no. esp with Ti. I would highly recommend the resin pads. I have them on my LX hydro's and love them. no squeal like everyone else J5's
    I don't know if I'd say that. Since most rotors are stainless steel. The problem is that Ti like Au, is a softer material than stainless steel. Semi-metallic and Sintered pad materials are much harder than the rotors you are using. Probably best to use an organic pad on Ti rotors since they'll be less abrasive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69
    The problem is that Ti like Au
    Au? That's gold. You must mean Al aluminum which brings to this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmIKbjpeTZw

banned
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    Au? That's gold. You must mean Al aluminum which brings to this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmIKbjpeTZw
    Yea just figured that one out. Damn that video was funny! Doesn't make me feel bad to ever drive a Pinto!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by adept1
    I didn't see the warning. I think I may still be able to use these rotors. I'll try the resin pads and see how it goes. I'll post an update once I'm sure of the results. Thankx everybody, for trying to be helpful.

mtbr member
    Top gear kicks ass. On the other hand, Au is also soft and probably does have the braking properties of... cheese but more expensive and heavy.