ballbuster

Ti Nitride coating on rotors... worth anything?

I was gonna plunk down for a pair of not expensive rotors. I have Hope Mono Minis with worn original rotors on my Singlespeed. I really wanna get some Hope Floating rotors, but can't quite pony up $90 plus freight from CRC in the UK.

I was thinking of some Ashima rotors, or Aligator iWave rotors... mostly based on how they look. okay... I'm a tool of fashion. I don't tend to kill brakes, but I do weigh 215 these days. Hope Mono Minis are fine for my weight and riding, but if I put the wrong pads in them, I overheat them... so I'm guessing I'm on the edge of what these brakes can handle.

Then I saw Ti Nitride coated rotors. I remember Ti is a poor conductor of heat, but makes for a nice hard surface on tools that helps them last a while. Not sure how that would translate to brake rotors.

Like I said, I think I'm on the edge of what these can handle. A bad rotor might put me over the edge, and I might end up smoking these brakes.

Anybody have experience with them?

I guess the safe bet would be to get floating rotors, or get another set of stock non floating Hope rotors, but those are kinda expensive, too.

mtbr member
    The coating on the rotors is almost purely cosmetic. On the actual braking surface, you'll wear it off on the first ride. But you'll still have gold rotor arms I guess if you're getting them for looks.

From another thread about this from last year... Alligator Serration Rotors, what is the advantage of the Ti Nitrite Coated version?
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

ballbuster

Oooh, good link!

Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    The coating on the rotors is almost purely cosmetic. On the actual braking surface, you'll wear it off on the first ride. But you'll still have gold rotor arms I guess if you're getting them for looks.

From another thread about this from last year... Alligator Serration Rotors, what is the advantage of the Ti Nitrite Coated version?
    *pic*
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, looks like the coating adds nothing.

I'll prolly end up doing Ashima Airotors. The reviews on them seem to be pretty good. The Origin8 packaged ones go for $22 landed on fleabay. I can do that.

banned
    Apr 2010
    There are new designs out there like:

Both are very light and said to work very well, but I only have heard about the less demanding xc applications and not big mountain runs to DH.

mtbr member
    Im beginning to this a lot of this mumbo jumbo is pure marketing. I remember when Ti-Ni coating first starting coming out on motorcycle suspension because it was less friction and smoother operating.

Not sure why I'd want less friction on a set of brake rotors...