mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thoughts on Formula B4 Pro VS B4 SL Disc Brakes....

Thoughts on 2004 Formula B4 Pro VS 2004 B4 SL Disc Brakes...Is the Main diff. weight? How do they compare with other disc brakes.

Help

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

That is about it...only 7g per posting on Ebay which is where to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirth
    Thoughts on 2004 Formula B4 Pro VS 2004 B4 SL Disc Brakes...Is the Main diff. weight? How do they compare with other disc brakes.

Help
    Guy on Ebay sells them for $300 and $350 a set. I almost bought a set but then I saw someone selling Juicys for $300 and had to have those. I'm a huge fan of Avid's mech brakes and I've read good things about their hydros.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirth

Where do we start? There never was a 2004 B4SL. That brake finished in 2003 and it was the world's lightest stock disc brake at 630g/set. It had a 160 front rotor and a 140 rear.

The 2004 version is now the B4 Pro+. It's made of aluminum, not the SL's magnesium, it has a 160 rear rotor with an avid-like CPS adaptor. It has more beef on the lever bodies for strength and brass lever bleed plug instead of a plastic one. It's gained about 130g in weight too but all in the name of strength, power and adjustment ease.

I've had the B4SL for eighteen months and in the time it has been totally problem, adjustment and maintenance free. In fact I have done ZERO to it. And they changed things for 2004 to improve the brake? I've got a set of 2004 Pro+ here waiting for ridable trails and it will be interesting to see how they have improved on 100% reliability and quality.

Yes the 160 rear rotor will give more power so now I'll be able to lock my rear wheel with a finger going 30mph downhill on asphalt with my 185lbs over the rear wheel. That should be interesting.

I'm sure the N.American distributor Thorsten has improved his cutomer service too so now he'll probably fly to your place (like the Rolls Royce guys) to help you with your brakes. If he didn't improve then you will just get arguably the worlds' best support (Magura is just as good, I proved it this week).

The Formula is a perfect XC brake, Wirth. Plus they even have Recreational, FR and DH brakes too.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Some Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    The 2004 version is now the B4 Pro+.
    Do you know where I can find some information about the B4 Pro+ on-line (preferably with some pictures)? Is the 140mm rear rotor still an option? Does it use the CPS-like adjuster front and rear, or only in the rear? Thanks.

A wheelist

Some answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tullebukk
    Do you know where I can find some information about the B4 Pro+ on-line (preferably with some pictures)? Is the 140mm rear rotor still an option? Does it use the CPS-like adjuster front and rear, or only in the rear? Thanks.

Try here for pics and info -

http://groups.msn.com/FOGFormulaOwnersGroup/fog.msnw

The 140 rotor is history.

The adaptor is just for the rear.

E-mail Thor for a product brochure -

formula@khsbicycleparts.com
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

hooked on quack
    My B4SLs failed like some others did. LOVED the superior modulation until then. Thorsen let get some B4Pro 03s in exchange and gave me the retro upgrade kits for them otherwise. This way I still had the lighter direct mnting instead of that heavy-ass centering deal. Kept the all alum SL hardware as well, plus it still uses the 140mm rear. Have 3 rr disc wheels all with 140s on them. Stans sells the rotors as well. Now the ONLY difference is the alum vs mag material used between the 2 systems=about 20gms maybe. Plus I'm using ti/alum rotor bolts with a Stans alum front 160 with the Pros. My Hayes bike also uses a 140mm rr. Just use the front mount in the back. My Pros feel EXACTLY like my SLs did.

140mm with Hayes. Cambria sells the needed mnt mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    I've had the B4SL for eighteen months and in the time it has been totally problem, adjustment and maintenance free. In fact I have done ZERO to it. And they changed things for 2004 to improve the brake? I've got a set of 2004 Pro+ here waiting for ridable trails and it will be interesting to see how they have improved on 100% reliability and quality.

hey Mike, do you ride in below freezing temperatures? I have the b4sl+ and everytime I go from indoor (65 F) to outdoors (20-30 F), the feel at the lever changes dramatically. They get all mushy everytime I go out. Does that happen with your brakes? Any idea what's going on? thanks

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Biandon
    hey Mike, do you ride in below freezing temperatures? I have the b4sl+ and everytime I go from indoor (65 F) to outdoors (20-30 F), the feel at the lever changes dramatically. They get all mushy everytime I go out. Does that happen with your brakes? Any idea what's going on? thanks
    I didn't ride my mtb this winter in freezing temps (I rode my roadbike) but I did last winter and I didn't have the problems you're noticing. I'll forward your findings to Thor for his reaction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks nm

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Mike T

Mike, I have been reading your posts with regards to the B4SL brakes since about the time you first received them and have been impressed enough to order a new set of 03's from Stans No-Tubes (he still has a couple of sets left) for my new Titus Racer-X. Hope they are everything you claim. I used to have a Sola as well so I think our tastes in bikes are probably about the same. Sold the Seven to a buddy of mine that I race with in Ontario, and he seems to like it as well. Couldn't agree with you more about Thorsten, I just ordered the dual-syringe bleed kit and upgrade kit for the SL's and he was great to deal with. Any set-up issues for the brakes I should know about? Thanx, Morati

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by morati
    Mike, I have been reading your posts with regards to the B4SL brakes since about the time you first received them and have been impressed enough to order a new set
    Someone actually read and believed that stuff? Oh my gawd! No, actually they've been excellent.

Hope they are everything you claim.
    Well we all know that yours are going to drop off the first day you use them don't we? I hate recommending anything as **** happens and then I look a fool. But then I can't remember the last time I recommended a brake. I just relate my own personal findings.

I used to have a Sola as well so I think our tastes in bikes are probably about the same. Sold the Seven to a buddy of mine that I race with in Ontario, and he seems to like it as well.

Yeah what a frame!

Couldn't agree with you more about Thorsten,

Yeah what a man!

I just ordered the dual-syringe bleed kit and upgrade kit for the SL's and he was great to deal with. Any set-up issues for the brakes I should know about? Thanx, Morati

Not that I can think of Morati. They are quite straightforward. If you shorten any lines just be wary of the tiny o-rings that are easily lost and make sure they aren't pinched when you put things back together. If you do bleed, follow the instructions I wrote for Thor's FOG site. A good 2-syringe bleed transformed my brakes from adequate to incredible. The small details pay off.

The difference was astounding but Thor told me the factory had since got a new 25K bleeding machine that probably makes the factory bleeds more consistent.

I should explain the comment "I have done ZERO to it" in my original post above. The brake was fine (I thought) but Thor sent along the first 2-syringe bleed kit when he first got them and I wanted to write up a set of instructions for his FOG pages. So.......I had to bleed the brakes to figure out what to do. I was glad I did as the bleeding made a major difference. I'm far from being a Formula bleeding expert as this is the only bleed I ever did to my B4SL! They've never needed another one.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 03-24-2004 at 07:36 PM.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by morati
    Mike, I have been reading your posts with regards to the B4SL brakes since about the time you first received them and have been impressed enough to order a new set of 03's from Stans No-Tubes (he still has a couple of sets left) for my new Titus Racer-X. Hope they are everything you claim. I used to have a Sola as well so I think our tastes in bikes are probably about the same. Sold the Seven to a buddy of mine that I race with in Ontario, and he seems to like it as well. Couldn't agree with you more about Thorsten, I just ordered the dual-syringe bleed kit and upgrade kit for the SL's and he was great to deal with. Any set-up issues for the brakes I should know about? Thanx, Morati
    Hey John,

Well, I sold my Sola too and I'm getting a dually...looks like a Ti Racer-X (100mm), but possibly a stock small 100 RX. Unfortunately, I don't think I can fit into the stock 100mm RX, small....top tube looks too long relative to my other bikes.

Have you had a chance to ride your RX? Where did you buy from?

As you know, I also had a set of B4 SLs. These were really, really nice brakes and held-up well to the rigours of O-Cup racing, Tremblant, Fortune, Bromont, etc.

See you at Dagmar!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com