mtbr member

Thoughts on brake squeal

Today esquire, chiefy and I rode for a couple of hours in the snow. Sorta guaranteed to get your rotors wet. Now I have ridden BB7's for a coupla years and then stepped up to Hayes hydraulics and then Juicy 5s, Juicy 7's and on to Code's on my Socom. They all had squeal issues when wet. Even with Galfa organic pads.

Last week I installed Formula ONE brakes on my new Tracer. And because I have a touch of OCD tempered with old fashioned yankee frugality I elected to keep my 160mm Avid rotors. Now comes the interesting part, all today on our (wet) ride I was listening to the squeal of Hope brakes in harmony with squealing Avid brakes on the other two bikes. My bike with the Formula calipers mated to my previous squeal happy Avid rotors were silent as a Chrysler executive asked to justify his bonus.

Could it be that the configuration of the caliper / pad has more influence on brake squeal than the rotor configuration? BTW the Formulas are sweet.

Talk amongst yourselves.
    Everybody dies, but not everyone lives

nnn
    mtbr member
    From my experience brake squeal has much more to do with the calliper and how tightly it fits together, and the wear on bushings etc - my old BB7 was a very good calliper and never made a sound, same for my XT 4 pot but other callipers felt a bit more loose and squealed often, especially Vs after a few years.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Live Free or Ride!
    I find that organic pads make a huge difference and of course keeping your rotors spottless. Never had any problems on my Hayes SFX SC9's or Magura Marta SL's. Summer or winter.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

TLL
    mtbr member
    Squeal can be anything, not just the rotor/pad interface. In talking with Chris at Formula, he was of the opinion that in many cases of hard to diagnose cases it was other factors, such as loose pivot bushings and poor return spring tension that were often responsible for brake squeal.

I posted up a fairly complete list a while back:

How did you fix your squeal and/or vibration?
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have always been under the impression that all brakes vibrate under braking. Most of the time this vibration is not at a frequency which is audible, but sometimes it is under certain conditions. Sometimes the vibration will hit the resonance frequency for another part of your bike. It really could be anything. The rack on my commuter, when I don't have anything attached to it, will emit a low hum when I brake with the rear.