1FG
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Third party replacement levers for new XTR brake

I've been running the '07 XTR brakes for a month now and I'm pretty happy with them with the exception of the levers. They are way too thin (I think) and uncomfortable. Does anyone know if there are any third party replacement levers with a more ergonomic design available?

Happy trails.

the catalan connection

Vs or disc?

If its for Vs any V brake lever should work.
    Im afraid youll have to go shimano for the hidraulic though.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I got some dangerboy levers for my Saints (really comfortable), not sure if they fit the new xtr ones though?

But you can check them out here
    http://www.dangerboyusa.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm not sure if these are any more ergronomic, but they sure are alot cooler..not to mention expesive..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-NEW-XTR-...QQcmdZViewItem

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinier
    I'm not sure if these are any more ergronomic, but they sure are alot cooler..not to mention expesive..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-NEW-XTR-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Those do look cool... but hard to tell if they are any wider than the stock blades...

mtbr member
    You can always put neoprene covers on the blades to make them stockier. personally, i think the shape and bends of the xtr hydro (and v's) levers are the best I've tried...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    EDIT: Never mind. You said you have 07 levers... I don't know if they are compatible.

Dangerboy and Straightline both offer them, I think.

Both of those are wider and feel better, but they are only for the hydraulic version.

JMH

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FG
    I've been running the '07 XTR brakes for a month now and I'm pretty happy with them with the exception of the levers. They are way too thin (I think) and uncomfortable. Does anyone know if there are any third party replacement levers with a more ergonomic design available?

Happy trails.
    I've been using the new XTR's for about a month now. I almost didn't buy them because of the levers. The Avid's have a much better feel, and more usable space. Besides the thin feel, the bend is way too sharp and when trying to stop when my hands are close into the bar, the bend in the lever hits my fingers holding the bar and Oh sh*t, NOT ENOUGH BRAKING POWER....Not a good feeling on a steep incline.
    I am definitely looing into replacements...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    I've been using the new XTR's for about a month now. I almost didn't buy them because of the levers. The Avid's have a much better feel, and more usable space. Besides the thin feel, the bend is way too sharp and when trying to stop when my hands are close into the bar, the bend in the lever hits my fingers holding the bar and Oh sh*t, NOT ENOUGH BRAKING POWER....Not a good feeling on a steep incline.
    I am definitely looing into replacements...
    it sounds like your levers are too close to the grip and/or your brakes need a bleed... neither my XTs nor my LXs ever get close to the bar...

1FG
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just checked with both DangerBoy (Dangerboy Components www.dangerboyusa.com
    6-2042 Mills Road, Sidney, BC, Canada - (250) 656-563) and Straightline (STRAITLINE COMPONENTS www.straitlinecomponents.com 2-10019 Galaran Road Sidney, British Columbia Canada V8L 5X3 Telephone: 250.655.6603) and both told me that they were actually talking about (StraightLine this very morning!), that they needed to check if there was any changes from last year levers and would get back to me.

There might be hope...

DC

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    it sounds like your levers are too close to the grip and/or your brakes need a bleed... neither my XTs nor my LXs ever get close to the bar...
    No, I've been riding for 12 years now, and have never had this problem before. These levers do seem to have more of a bend than any others I have had in the past, and that would be quite a few. If my hands are up against my bar ends were they are most of the time, my finger reach is a good distance away and I don't have a problem. As far as air in the line. These brakes are awesome, and the pads are right up against the rotors.

mnt bike laws of physics

Hello fellow Cannondale rider

Quote Originally Posted by 1FG
    I just checked with both DangerBoy (Dangerboy Components www.dangerboyusa.com
    6-2042 Mills Road, Sidney, BC, Canada - (250) 656-563) and Straightline (STRAITLINE COMPONENTS www.straitlinecomponents.com 2-10019 Galaran Road Sidney, British Columbia Canada V8L 5X3 Telephone: 250.655.6603) and both told me that they were actually talking about (StraightLine this very morning!), that they needed to check if there was any changes from last year levers and would get back to me.

There might be hope...

DC
    I was looking on these 2 websites and I also had called Dangerboy yesterday, but today I took a closer look at our lever design and it is definitely different from the past shimano levers in which the hydro line came straight out. The XTR levers would need to be redesigned - more like the Magura levers.
    Noticed that both Dangerboy and Straightline levers were very similar in design. Do you like the extra notch in the lever?