mtbr junior member

thinkness of the rotorsSsSs....

i am going to build a wheelset with the new 04 XT hubs, so i have to use the center-locked rotor ST-M765(160mm).

however, i want to use the avid bbdb(160mm) too~~
    i am wondering about the compatibility.

their diameters are the same, but how about their thickness???

anybody here can help me figure it out? thank you very much~

Crank monkey

I'm no expert, but it should work...

The Avids are adjustable enough that you should be able to make them fit.

I think if you do a search, you might find that others have already done this. I seem to remember reading it somewhere on this board a while ago.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

"El Whatever"
    Whatever it turns out let me know... Shimano is upgrading the LX to centerlocks and hydros. I might be interested about getting the LX hub and would use it with my Avids... and keep off from Shimano's Dual Control levers!!

I don't know the answer... but my bet is that the Shimano rotor braking surface is a bit narrower and knowing Shimano policies they might have done this for you to use their products only.
    Check my Site

Chrome Toaster
    They will work. Keep in mind the pistons are capable of adjusting to the rotor width. They need to be able to do this as the pad wears anyway.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Whatever it turns out let me know... Shimano is upgrading the LX to centerlocks and hydros. I might be interested about getting the LX hub and would use it with my Avids... and keep off from Shimano's Dual Control levers!!

I don't know the answer... but my bet is that the Shimano rotor braking surface is a bit narrower and knowing Shimano policies they might have done this for you to use their products only.
    Whats wrong with the dual controls?
    The brake track on the new shimano rotors is much wider. Besides, the brake track width will not make a rotor incompatible. At best it might loose a bit of stopping power. Many rotors, particularly some of the wavy ones use a narrower track than the pad anyway.

"El Whatever"
    For the Dual Control... I dunno. I hadn't tried them to be sincere. I just have my concerns for when you need braking and shifting at the same time. I know this is not normal as the proper technique is to shift and then brake... but the times I use braking+shifting is under emergency when I wnat these control to be fully operable and I just can't figure out how to shift and brake at the same time with dual control. I might change my mind when I try them.

For the rotor width I had my concers about the pads rubbing the rotor arms which lead to increase the temperature at a very stressed point. For example the Avid Juicy wavy's heve the rotor arm at the lower point of the wave so the pad would not rub the arm. But if some other manufactures do it other way... they might know.

Thanks for the advice... so when the LX starts to be sold I'll swap my current Deores.
    Check my Site

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    For the Dual Control... I dunno. I hadn't tried them to be sincere. I just have my concerns for when you need braking and shifting at the same time. I know this is not normal as the proper technique is to shift and then brake... but the times I use braking+shifting is under emergency when I wnat these control to be fully operable and I just can't figure out how to shift and brake at the same time with dual control. I might change my mind when I try them.
    Everybody has an opinion on dual control yet few have tried it. I guess thats how things usually work. Anyway, they work fine.
    Rubbing the arm of the rotor won't hurt anything. As a matter of fact the original XT discs rubbed a large portion of the rotor arm. Hayes do the same. It won't hurt anything. Probably gives a very similar effect to a wavy rotor where part of the pad is not contacting the rotor all the time.

"El Whatever"
    I'm becoming old... that's all... I'm falling into "rolling resistance"... I used to want for the newest, more recent stuff... now I hesitate and prefer the old and proven stuff.

Anyway. Once the Dual Contol cross in my way I'll give it a fair try with my mind fully open. For the wavy rotors I decided to get ones from Hayes or Magura as I can't get the Avid stuff here.
    Check my Site

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Whats wrong with the dual controls?
    The brake track on the new shimano rotors is much wider. Besides, the brake track width will not make a rotor incompatible. At best it might loose a bit of stopping power. Many rotors, particularly some of the wavy ones use a narrower track than the pad anyway.
    My Galfer wavey rotors have a slightly wider brake track than the stock rotors.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    Jan 2004

This is a bit of a confusing thread, I've always felt there...

...needs to be better wording to differentiate between rotor thickness, and rotor rim profile (brake track height), the two are often confused.

To add to the confusion, measuring brack track width or height, is almost impossible on many of the newer rotors, it pretty much has to be measured at the pad instead.
    Last edited by Gnarlygig; 06-20-2004 at 03:41 PM.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    My Galfer wavey rotors have a slightly wider brake track than the stock rotors.
    I haven't seen the galfers but some like maguras appear to have a super narrow track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

King wheelset on XT M765 disc integrated setup

I finally pulled the trigger on a Blur, built w/ the XT integrated / centerlock disc setup. Of course the rear shifting is quite counter-intuitive, but I think I'll get over that learning curve. When my gracious wife sees the light of my need for a set of svelte CK ISO disc Hubs & Mavic 717 wheelset (Chris who?), I like to build them up. Perhaps the best way to go would be to use the std XT 6-bolt rotors? Are they similar to the centerlock profile?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarlygig
    ...needs to be better wording to differentiate between rotor thickness, and rotor rim profile (brake track height), the two are often confused.

To add to the confusion, measuring brack track width or height, is almost impossible on many of the newer rotors, it pretty much has to be measured at the pad instead.
    It is clear to me. Thickness and width are very different.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common