Quiet Professional

Thinking of changing from tektro mech.

So i am currently running tektro mech brakes and thinking of upgrading to avid bb7 or even hydro. If i go with bb7 i was thinking of going 200mm on the rotars as i am a heavy guy. I am also wondering if i would benefit from changing the levers from tektro to avid and if so which? I would also be changing the cables if i went this route.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    BB7s would be the best upgrade you could get if you are sticking with mechanical brakes. The levers are functionally the same, but the Avid Speed Dial 7s have cable pull adjustments, which most levers don't have. That adjustment alone would make them worth picking up to replace your stock brake levers, even before you get different brakes. It is good that you would be changing cables, but you'll also need to change the housing, in all likelihood. Grab a housing/cable kit from Jagwire.

If you don't have IS tabs on your frame/fork, you will need to buy post mount adapters, as the brakes only come with IS adapters.

Quiet Professional
    I currentlyt have post mount on the front and I think IS on the back. It is a crappy sr xct 80mm fork and it says that 160mm in max for the fork. Is thgis because it has post mount or is there some other reason? Eventually I will probably change the fork to a 120mm most likely but for now what say you? I also want blue jagwire setup but having problems finding them. Are the ones on ebay authentic? What would I need to change the shift cables as well as brake cables?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been using Mechanical brakes for years and literally do not know what I am missing with hydraulic brakes. I have Avid BB7 and have had great success with them. I've heard the pro's and cons of both sides of the camp (mech vs hydr) . I think when and if I convert to hydraulic, I'll get XT (or XTR if I find a deal). All my riding buddies swear by the XT/XTR brakes. They've told me there is a very noticeable difference when you make the jump. They say it's a godsend on long descents which are typical here in SoCal where I live.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    I currentlyt have post mount on the front and I think IS on the back. It is a crappy sr xct 80mm fork and it says that 160mm in max for the fork. Is thgis because it has post mount or is there some other reason? Eventually I will probably change the fork to a 120mm most likely but for now what say you? I also want blue jagwire setup but having problems finding them. Are the ones on ebay authentic? What would I need to change the shift cables as well as brake cables?
    Maximum allowed/recommended rotor size has nothing to do with the type of disc caliper mounts. 160 mm is all you can put on your fork because bigger rotors could damage the fork (crack lowers, break crown, create play etc.) and consequently yourself. It's really not advisable to put bigger rotors than 160 mm on a fork like that since it's only 28 mm and of questionable quality. Also reconsider putting a 120 mm fork on that frame as it was designed around an 80 mm fork and will thus change the geometry of the bicycle. I think a 100 mm fork would be a safer option but then again I don't know which frame are we talking about so I might be wrong here.

Quiet Professional
    Thanks for the reply. I will put a 100mm fork on it and 180 rotors once i change the fork. I can live with 160s for now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    IMHO hydraulic is worlds apart. I love mine. I'm using tektro's