dh1
    mtbr member

Thinking about upgrading from BB5 to BB7 and want to know

if there is any reason to change my levers out at the same time.

Currenty I am using the Shimano Dual Control levers. I love using the dual control mechanism, so I am reluctant to switch to a dedicated brake lever....but I keep hearing the Avid Speed dial levers are the only way to go with BB7s.

Is changing the lever really going to improve my braking performance?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i loved my avids with regular ole v brake levers you just gotta dial them in

Meh.
    It'll work fine with the DC levers. The SD levers just give you more adjustability/tuning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Agreed...

The SD 7 levers and BB7 brakes work very well together and give the best adjustability for the BB7 system. But it's not an absolute necessity to use SD 7 levers with them. The added adjustability of the speed dial system is nice, but the brakes will perform just as well without it. So go ahead and use your dual control levers with them. They'll work just fine.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I just switched to Avid Speed dial 7's on my BB5's and they are freakin awesome. You might find you don't even to get the BB7's. A quick tune up and a little adjusting of the newly installed levers and I can endo while seated, which is more than enough grab imo .