mtbr member
    Nov 2008

are these brakes good or bad: clarks

hi, could anybody please tell me if these brakes are descent or not? im into trail riding, dunno if that helps :P http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=330290273911
    thanks
    Lol, get a step stool and put it in a doorway. Then stand on it and jump up until you slam your head on the doorway.

...idios...
    For not much more cash you'll be able to pick up a couple of Hope Minis - the original two-piece ones - which, in my opinion, would be a much better investment. They're fully and easily serviceable and are dead easy to bleed.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    yh, but im not sure i want to pick up something thats old, and these brakes are brand new, isnt there anything thats quite new, not several yeas old?
    Lol, get a step stool and put it in a doorway. Then stand on it and jump up until you slam your head on the doorway.

...idios...
    Then buy new, but you won't get very much for your 50 quid. Bear in mind that your Clarks' have no spare parts supply, so are for all intents and purposes unserviceable. This means that when a seal fails or you catch a lever on a tree or in a fall and your brakeset is finished and will have to be completely replaced. In the case of a seal failure, what would cost you less than 5 to fix with an "old" Hope system will cost you your 50 all over again with the Clarks brake. In every way other than sparkly newness, the Mini is a better brake than the Clarks. At the price point you are looking at, buying used is by far the most sensible option, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    thanks for the advice, im now pondering the idea of juicy 3 sl's, my mate might be willing to sell them to me for 60 pounds, but one of the levers is bust. good idea?

...idios...
    "....but one of the levers is bust. good idea?"

Bust how?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    completely bent!

...idios...
    Just the lever blade or is the MC damaged? Has the damage pulled the MC piston out?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    no idea, ill check tommorrow thanks!