Got Trails?

Is there a trick to BB7's

I just recieved my BB7's today & I can not get the rotor relased from the caliper to save my life. The rotor is inserted into the calipers. I worked on the front turning the knobs as much as they would go & the rotor finally came loose. The rear I have been working on for about 5 hours on & off now. The knobs will not really turn at all. My hand is sore as heck from trying to budge this thing.

Any suggestions?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    it will loosen a bit with use...maybe try to turn it a bit with full finger gloves on...so that your fingers don't get damaged....

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    it will loosen a bit with use...maybe try to turn it a bit with full finger gloves on...so that your fingers don't get damaged....

sounds like a good idea. I haven;t even been able to install the rear caliper or rotor yet because of this. I got the front on & it feels a little slugish, but I think that is because I need to adjust them better & break them in.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah..make sure you break them in good.... go down a small hill a couple of times without locking the wheel completely...let some pad material transfer to the rotor..and let it get warm... after a couple of runs you will see how the power improves...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbike1
    sounds like a good idea. I haven;t even been able to install the rear caliper or rotor yet because of this. I got the front on & it feels a little slugish, but I think that is because I need to adjust them better & break them in.
    It is usually easier to loosen the outer knob than the inner. No idea why they tighten them so much to package them.

If you really can get the rotor out. pry off the inner knob and grab the post (it is flat) with vice grips and turn it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

ay Diablo!
    I got a set for Christmas and had the same problem. The rear brake came apart from the rotor like butta, but the front took me at least 45 min. of aggrevation before they came apart. I wish I could remember what i did to get them apart. I think the gods must have took pity on me, and thats when they came apart
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

Got Trails?
    I finally got them apart. I ended up using a soft rubber top remover with a little help from a pair of pliers. I carefully turned the knob making sure not to mess anything up. Everything is installed & now I need to tune it up.
    Is it normal to have a lot of rubbing at first. If I adjust the pads to much I get nothing for braking power, the wheel wont even stop. If I adjust it a little more so the outer pad is just a hir away from the rotor it sounds like it is rubbing, but has great stopping power?

Your rotors might be slightly out of true (maybe from yanking on them to get the calipers off), not a big problem nor terribly unusual, especially as time goes on. Use the disc brake faq in the upper right corner for some help. You won't get all the braking power in any case until you bed the pads in like Crisillo said...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Your rotors might be slightly out of true (maybe from yanking on them to get the calipers off), not a big problem nor terribly unusual, especially as time goes on. Use the disc brake faq in the upper right corner for some help. You won't get all the braking power in any case until you bed the pads in like Crisillo said...

I will try the small hills & braking once I get the chain in a couple days.
    I really wasn't yanking on the rotors at all, I figured that would be a bad thing for them so I just kept trying woth the knobs until my fingers felt like they were going to fall off. They got so bad that my pointed finger on my right hand actually got bright red & had the grooves indented on it for about 5 minutes.

neutiquam erro
    I'm going through a new BB7 install too. They just take time to get set up right in my admittedly limited experience. Getting the stupid rotor off out of the box was r-diculous. I just wiggled and yanked hard. The CPS setting is a trial and error thing for me every time I've put BB7s on my bikes. It takes me a coupla times at it to get the 1/3 / 2/3 thing, but I just try to be patient. There will be a little rub on a new set when you spin the wheel - it shouldn't be grossly rubbing hard, but is pretty inevitable. Before you worry about the rotor being un-true, etc, get a few rides in with good braking to set the pad and break them setup in a bit. Then recheck the pad clearances - my BB7 minor rubs always disappear after I get the brakes broken in (and re-adjusted if necessary); hopefully this time is the same!

Cheers, Chris

Got Trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris130
    I'm going through a new BB7 install too. They just take time to get set up right in my admittedly limited experience. Getting the stupid rotor off out of the box was r-diculous. I just wiggled and yanked hard. The CPS setting is a trial and error thing for me every time I've put BB7s on my bikes. It takes me a coupla times at it to get the 1/3 / 2/3 thing, but I just try to be patient. There will be a little rub on a new set when you spin the wheel - it shouldn't be grossly rubbing hard, but is pretty inevitable. Before you worry about the rotor being un-true, etc, get a few rides in with good braking to set the pad and break them setup in a bit. Then recheck the pad clearances - my BB7 minor rubs always disappear after I get the brakes broken in (and re-adjusted if necessary); hopefully this time is the same!

Cheers, Chris
    It is rubbing hard now. I reread the directions & adjusted them according to the instructions. Right now I have a little rubbing & the spacing is as close to the 1/3 & 2/3 as I feel I can get it.
    Once my chain arrives I will certainly be out in the frigid cold breaking the brakes in.