mtbr member
    May 2005

Are there split-clamp levers for mech. discs ?

I have searched and searched to no avail, I am looking for help if there are split clamp brake levers that I can use with my BB7's and use the matchmaker setup ?
    Thanks for the help
    Trek Fuel 90 - FOR SALE PM ME
    Cannondale Scalpel 1000 Push'ed
    Cannondale Caffeine 29er - weight weenie !

mtbr member
    I have never seen one from the major manufacturers. Maybe some boutique shop has made some though

mtbr member
    May 2009
    this is where i would go see if sombody wants to let me use their CNC

naw, thad cost too much

but whatever you do you probably want it to be the same pull angle, lever hole locations etc. cause i heard that avid mechs don't interface too incredibly well with any other lever

i could be wrong though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    this is where i would go see if sombody wants to let me use their CNC

naw, thad cost too much

but whatever you do you probably want it to be the same pull angle, lever hole locations etc. cause i heard that avid mechs don't interface too incredibly well with any other lever

i could be wrong though
    all linear pull levers will work properly with Avid mechanical discs. The reason people always suggest using the Avid levers too is because they have additional adjustments that many of their competitors don't

Former Bike Wrench
    Only one I'm aware of is the Avid Ultimates...for the bargain price of $240

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Only one I'm aware of is the Avid Ultimates...for the bargain price of $240
    I never realized those had a removable clamp until I saw that huge picture. I learn something every day!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I looked at the ultimates, but they wont work with the matchmaker setup. I did find some cheapy bmx levers but I am looking for a set that will handle my big behind.

mtbr member
    Paul Component cross levers, but they won't work with the matchmaker and I think they might be for canti's. SOL, I think. What you MIGHT be able to do is turn the lower part of the Pauls clamp into a mount... maybe he'll make one for you?? Anyway, coolest frickin' levers ever.

These are too, but again for cantis...
    "It looks flexy"

29 some of the time...
    Dangerboy makes a split clamp for mechanical disc (hoties not included in base pricing )

Hmmm, neither of the websites are working any more. Maybe Dangerboy is no more. My local shop still has a set of the levers in their display case.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Cool - here's another picture from mtbr.com

"It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er
    Hmmm, neither of the websites are working any more. Maybe Dangerboy is no more. My local shop still has a set of the levers in their display case.
    Yep, they went kaput over a year ago

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Paul Cross Levers will work with mechanical disks. From his website:

"Moving the pivot pin to the outer hole makes the levers compatible with v-brakes and mountain mechanical disk brakes"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast
    The Paul Cross Levers will work with mechanical disks. From his website:

"Moving the pivot pin to the outer hole makes the levers compatible with v-brakes and mountain mechanical disk brakes"
    I did some more reading on their page and while it can technically be set up to pull a like a normal linear-pull lever, it would not work in any practical sense without additional modification.
    First, the clamp comes in either 26.0mm (road only) or 31.8mm (mountain or road) diameter, which is the size of the bar right next to stem clamp and not in the grip area. It would work if you had the right shims
    Second the lever blade is short and angled away from the bar at a higher angle but there is no reach adjustment

Meh.
    Even if you find a split clamp, the bolt spacing may not be the same to use with Matchmaker clamps. For instance, the Matchmaker doesn't work with Formula. And Formula no longer makes the MixMaster.

I have seen a couple sets that came OE on bikes... but they were pretty flimsy and cheap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I did some more reading on their page and while it can technically be set up to pull a like a normal linear-pull lever, it would not work in any practical sense without additional modification.
    First, the clamp comes in either 26.0mm (road only) or 31.8mm (mountain or road) diameter, which is the size of the bar right next to stem clamp and not in the grip area. It would work if you had the right shims
    Second the lever blade is short and angled away from the bar at a higher angle but there is no reach adjustment
    Good to point out, when I read their page I couldn't remember bar diameters off the top of my head.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I am assuming that I am SOL....I am not sure why Avid does not make all of their levers with a split back

Yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel90Trek
    I am assuming that I am SOL....I am not sure why Avid does not make all of their levers with a split back
    Because Avid didn't used to be owned by SRAM. the MatchMaker has only been around as long as SRAM has owned Avid. And I would imagine a cost/benefit analysis would not support re-engineering the Speed Dial levers to play nice with MatchMaker.

Find a relatively cheap pair if SD ultimates on the 'bay, and see if you can find someone with mad CNC skillz to reverse-engineer a matchmaker clamp from the original clamp. Then market it through MTBR and retire early
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like a nice plan to me !!