mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Is there "Hope" for my brakes..

I've just picked up an Orange Patriot, fully tricked out. It's sweet to ride but has one problem. It has Hope minis front and back. The front is good, not as powerful as i'd have hoped (maybe due to not being run in yet?) and the back screams like banshee but his plenty of bite. Is there something i can do to beef up the front and get rid of the screamer on the back? The back runs fine if it gets wet (go figure) but when it's dry it a pain. To the entent as i don't dare us the backs in public places, in fear of being sued for damaging people's hearing.
    I had considered buying new pads front and back and have heard the EBC Gold are pretty good, as well as the Kool Stops.
    Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on how to sort them out?

formerly Giantxc
    On the issue of the front brake, how many times/miles have you ridden it? It took a solid 3-4 rides to brake mine in. The first couple, on the road, made my think I wasted my money they were so weak, but by the 4th (trail) I was impressed with their stopping power - however this is also when they started to squeel slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by MAGIC_BEANS
    I've just picked up an Orange Patriot, fully tricked out. It's sweet to ride but has one problem. It has Hope minis front and back. The front is good, not as powerful as i'd have hoped (maybe due to not being run in yet?) and the back screams like banshee but his plenty of bite. Is there something i can do to beef up the front and get rid of the screamer on the back? The back runs fine if it gets wet (go figure) but when it's dry it a pain. To the entent as i don't dare us the backs in public places, in fear of being sued for damaging people's hearing.
    I had considered buying new pads front and back and have heard the EBC Gold are pretty good, as well as the Kool Stops.
    Anyone got any ideas or suggestions on how to sort them out?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC
    On the issue of the front brake, how many times/miles have you ridden it? It took a solid 3-4 rides to brake mine in. The first couple, on the road, made my think I wasted my money they were so weak, but by the 4th (trail) I was impressed with their stopping power - however this is also when they started to squeel slightly.
    I've done a couple of trail sessions and ride to work everyday, which isn't too demanding. So you reckon they'll bite more as time goes on then? Any ideas on how to cure the backs?

Frequent Crasher
    I've done a couple of trail sessions and ride to work everyday, which isn't too demanding. So you reckon they'll bite more as time goes on then? Any ideas on how to cure the backs?
    Have you tried facing the mounts for the caliper? Not always the cure, but it works often enough to be worth a try.
    SB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    Have you tried facing the mounts for the caliper? Not always the cure, but it works often enough to be worth a try.
    SB
    By "facing" what do you mean? Taking the surface layer off?

Frequent Crasher
    yes using a tool to make the mounts perfectly flat and perpendicular to the disc, so you get an even squeeze on the rotor.
    SB

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBad
    yes using a tool to make the mounts perfectly flat and perpendicular to the disc, so you get an even squeeze on the rotor.
    SB
    What's the best thing to use?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's the best thing to use?
    You can find a bike shop that has the tool, or buy one yourself. Chad from Red Barn bikes can help you if you want the tool .