mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Is there a decent mechanical disc brake set for a budget build?

I am swapping out all the crap on my old kranked full suspension bike. I am looking for a decent mechanical Disc brake for it....any recommendations? it has the mount for rear but has v brakes at the moment.

WillWorkForTrail
    TRP Spyke if that's cheap, BB7 if the Spyke isn't. If both of those are too expensive, then no.

mtbr member
    Seems pointless when you consider how cheap decent hydraulics are.

MTB B'dos
    BB7a right now can be had for about 50% off (check CRC), the TRP ones are not cheap, nearly $100 per wheel for just the caliper. Kind of agree with Pig, unless you have some specific reason for wanting mechanical, hydros are just so in-expensive for the quality you can get.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Class Clown
    having used bb7's for years they are good brakes but hydro's are just better

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Seems pointless when you consider how cheap decent hydraulics are.
    That's kinda what I'm thinking. There are reasons you might want mechanical, but cost isn't a major consideration.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ok, what are some good cheap hydraulics? I will go with them no problem, just thinking that the cheap stuff is probably no better than good mechanicals...but if they are, I am down for that! post some INEXPENSIVE examples...

WillWorkForTrail
    Shimano brakes from Chain Reaction. Decent for under $50 a wheel, XT for under $100.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    Ok, what are some good cheap hydraulics? I will go with them no problem, just thinking that the cheap stuff is probably no better than good mechanicals...but if they are, I am down for that! post some INEXPENSIVE examples...

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...34&category=30

better than any mechanical ever made. Cheaper than most of them too. I can't think of a valid reason for anyone to get cable brakes today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the tips guys! 50 bucks a wheel for the decents sounds great. As for the cable brakes...my XTR V-Brakes WORK AWESOME!!!

because GIANT
    bb7's or spykes

avid mechanical brakes are pretty awesome. I never understood anyone complaining about them. when set up by the book and broken in they'll lock up any wheel pretty easily.

they are just as good as basic hydraulic brakes you just need to use the brake
    lever about as hard as you would with old rim brakes. and of course you need to maintain the cable by lubing it, and adjust the pad dial when they wear.

[people who whine about them just need to find something to whine about]

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ha ha....Good point. I don't mind messing around with cables etc. It's all the same to me. The thing is, is this is just a budget build for more of tinkering and see what I can make out of it. if the avid's are as good and as easy to control as my XTR V's then they are fine!!!

mtbr member
    Any Shimano brakes will be fine. Probably the best value/bang per buck is Deore M615. They are fairly cheap these days and give you the same performance as SLX and XT. If you can afford those then a safe bet.

Shimano hydraulics are about as fit and forget as they come. I have Shimano brakes that have not been bled in years and still work perfectly. Sounds crazy but they are less maintenance than cable brakes.

MTB B'dos
    BB7s can be very good, but they can also take a lot to set them up properly and end up costing as much as good hydros, so don't generally bother. Had a friend who insisted on mech disc for his bike, so ordered everything you need to be able to set them up good and dialed them in perfect, he later sold the bike to a guy over 200lbs who said he was going to order hydros as mechs couldn't work as good, he soon changed his tune when they sent him OTB

Ha ha....Good point. I don't mind messing around with cables etc. It's all the same to me. The thing is, is this is just a budget build for more of tinkering and see what I can make out of it. if the avid's are as good and as easy to control as my XTR V's then they are fine!!!

mtbr member
    As for the cable brakes...my XTR V-Brakes WORK AWESOME!!!
    I suspect that once you ride some modern hydros, even very low-end ones, you won't think that anymore.

mtbr member
    A friend of mine had BB7s on his bike and never had a lick of trouble with them. He switched to Avid hydros and has been having trouble ever since! ;0)

aka: Bucky Fikes
    He switched to Avid hydros
    There's the problem...right there!
    Always ride with a purpose.

MTB B'dos
    Avid only ever made one good brake and it's the ones being discussed in this thread There's a reason the Avid brand was dissapeared

A friend of mine had BB7s on his bike and never had a lick of trouble with them. He switched to Avid hydros and has been having trouble ever since! ;0)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    There's the problem...right there!
    He still has them and bought more.

because GIANT
    My Farley has Avid Hydros. I try not to think about it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Avid mechanic = ok
    Avid Hydro = not ok.

Got it!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I suspect that once you ride some modern hydros, even very low-end ones, you won't think that anymore.
    I dunno....my XTR's are one finger lock up easy! I love them. they just stop. Now they are on my sub 23lb specialized hard tail...that may have something to do with it.

mtbr member
    Let me add a word about mechanical brakes, since I have been using them regularly for a decade.

It was a learning curve in order to get them to work well for me.

I also have Shimano and Magura hydraulic brakes on some bikes at the same time. There is no argument: Hydraulic is superior.

At the same time, I actually like the mechanic brakes for a few reasons, and ride them frequently.

Recently I switched out a V brake to an Avid BB5 on the rear end of a single speed. It required the use of shims in order to get the caliper in proper position. Also, I had to bed them in a lot, a lot, before doing a real descent.

The really bad things about mechanical brakes are the cables themselves and the amount of strength needed on severe descents. Now I kind of like gripping really hard, but it's not optimal for modulation!

The cable routing and length is critical too.

But the worst thing is if the cable slips or snaps. I have experienced the cable snapping descending steeps and it is pretty scary to suddenly pick up speed. Just have that happen once could be your last ride ever, depending!

So I learned I have to keep an eye on the cable condition.

I've used Shimano mechanical brakes, and I liked the action. However they are flimsy, and some models were recalled I believe.

They will work acceptably, but take some time to dial in, as well as some experience using them.

I will agree that a cheap hydraulic is probably a better choice if you have to cheap out.

But I like being different, and will use cables and v brakes on some bikes just because I can.

Just make sure they work good before hitting a real ride. Once I installed some brakes that weren't sorted well and I ended up T-bone to a huge log and bent my fork, and nearly endoed big time.

They are sketchy.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

My other ride
    The only reason I was thinking mechanical would be better is for an adventure route scenario where if you break a hose, you're SOL. But you can carry a spare cable or two easily.

Would that be true?

I can't see any other reason where mechanical is better on an MTB*.

*Road hydro is still expensive. I have BB5 on my commuter CX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Shimano SLX is amazing for the $.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Shimano SLX is amazing for the $.
    SLX! I put XT on the front of my wife's SS and SLX on the rear, and the action is excellent, with no mismatch. Kind of pointless though as the price of XT can be just $10 more than SLX. I should probably have just gone with XT front and rear, or SLX f and r. Ah, she loves it, that's all that matters.

Actually people notice the set up and give it a nod though.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    The only reason I was thinking mechanical would be better is for an adventure route scenario where if you break a hose, you're SOL. But you can carry a spare cable or two easily.
    In theory, I would have to agree with you. With a purely mechanical system you can take your trail tools to it.

In practice, a reliable hydro like Shimano is very unlikely to go wrong unless you crash it. Ultimately though, I think you're right in that something like BB7s would be better in that respect. It's not something I would worry about but it would be a legitimate reason to choose mechanical.

Life Is Short
    Any Shimano brakes will be fine. Probably the best value/bang per buck is Deore M615. They are fairly cheap these days and give you the same performance as SLX and XT. If you can afford those then a safe bet.

Shimano hydraulics are about as fit and forget as they come. I have Shimano brakes that have not been bled in years and still work perfectly. Sounds crazy but they are less maintenance than cable brakes.
    I agree I've had a set of Deore for 5 years and never bled them, just changed the pads. Plus modulation is nicer on hydraulic
    Ride More, Eat More

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I don't mind the need to fiddle with brake adjustments on my BB7 brakes. With these brakes, I know my lever contact points and feel will be dialed exactly to my liking on every ride.

My last two hydro brakes, SRAM Guide RS and Shimano SLX, gave me continual problems with pumping up issues, sticky pistons, and varying bite points...and yes, they were set up and bled properly. I just want to ride and not worry about my brakes. So, I'm a happy camper since going back to my "antiquated" BB7s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hkmeup View Post
    ...My last two hydro brakes, SRAM Guide RS and Shimano SLX, gave me continual problems with pumping up issues, sticky pistons, and varying bite points...and yes, they were set up and bled properly...
    I've had those issues with Shimano XTs. I'm liking Sram Level brakes nowadays. They're very consistent and with linear braking vs lever effort as apposed to the rather abrupt onset of braking with the Shimano's Servo Wave levers.
    Do the math.