mtbr member

That's it, I'm going Hydraulic.

So, I bought my first double boinger about two months ago. I've been riding it at least three times a week since then, and have logged enough miles to get a feel for the sport.

I'm positive of a few things:
    1. I have some crappy Hayes mechanical brakes that came stock on my Yukon FX.
    2. I want more stopping power, with less heat fade.

So here's where I'm hoping you folks can help:
    I've spec'd out a full set of Juicy 5's for 190. I'd like to not blow the bank on going hydraulic, but I don't want any cheap brakes. The highest I'll be able to go is 300 for a full set, but that's really pushing it.

I've looked at most Avid brakes, and have tried to find sites selling Hope Brakes so I can price them out as well...

Any recommendations for brakes/places to buy the brakes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had a set of Juicy 5's awhile ago. I found them to be a no-frills brake, but they worked nicely.

For 300$ you can get some Juicy 7's from chain reaction, they are 153$ each (CDN $).

For hope, check out chain reaction cycles and wiggle. They are in the UK, but free shipping after ~ 250$. Don't forget to change your currency and location to the USA, that way it won't include VAT.

mtbr member
    I have seen Magura Louise going on ebay in your budget range. A really excellent brake.

Also, brake fade has less to do with mechanical VS hydraulic and more to do with rotor size and brake pad compound.

turtles make me hot
    My stepson's Yukon had those mechanical Hayes. They did suck. We bought Juicy 3's for like 150 bucks front and rear... They work great, but now I realize I coulda got 5's or 7's on sale for only a little more. They have been trouble free, though.

I have 7's on my bike and they're awesome. Check Blue Sky Cycling and some of the others. This time of the year they'll all be putting the 09 stuff for sale pretty cheap as the 2010 stuff is starting to come out.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    You should also look into Avid Elixir R's, I have a them on 2 bikes and could not be happier picked them up at my LBS for $220 a set with 185mm rotors front and rear, the set of 205's was a little more at $240 front and rear.

One Gear
    Pricepoint has 160mm '08 Juicy 7 fronts for $114 and '07 rears for $99.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    www.merlincycles.com
    UK based store but apparently their overseas shipping is great (i wouldnt know because i live in uk, but only ever had great service from them)
    great prices on a lot of things, brake's being a great one

cougarbait
    there is not much reason to get a juicy5, IMO. juicy7s are much better value
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    there is not much reason to get a juicy5, IMO. juicy7s are much better value
    So what your saying is the Pad Contact Adjustment on the Juicy 7 is a "much better value" for $25 more per wheel than the Juicy 5

Because the Juicy 5 and the Juicy 7 is the SAME EXACT brake except for that one adjustment.

~Disc~Golf~
    Hidroliks sux
    Honestly... ahh I give up

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    So what your saying is the Pad Contact Adjustment on the Juicy 7 is a "much better value" for $25 more per wheel than the Juicy 5

Because the Juicy 5 and the Juicy 7 is the SAME EXACT brake except for that one adjustment.
    yes, and I got a pair of juicy7 brand new for $110 shipped
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Combat Wombat
    For not much more, you can find a set of Shimano SLX brakes on ebay. There are some ok deals there right now, but if you are patient, I have seen sets show up for under $160 every once in awhile.

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the same issue with Avid BB7s. I'm switching to a 185 mm rotor in front to fix it. Much cheaper than new brakes!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    what abou some elixir 5's? pretty much the same as the r's just missing the lever adjust.

keep going!
    I just bought an AVID Elixir R Front brake kit which are on FIRE SALE at REI for $95.00

I have never owned Hydraulic brakes before... The first three rides were very irritating because I couldn't get the pads to stop dragging on the rotor. The rotor was straight at first but quickly developed some side to side warpage. One of the local bike shops tried straightening the rotor but it's not perfect.

BUT - yesterday I loosened the caliper a bit, looked carefully at the gap between the rotor/caliper and tapped the caliper one direction then the other until the rotor was rolling freely. So far, so good. I haven't done a ride yet with lots of downhill so we'll see what happens in a few days

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by fop1
    what abou some elixir 5's? pretty much the same as the r's just missing the lever adjust.
    The Elixir 5 also does not have the adjustable banjo on the caliper. Performance is comparable (identical).

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelzeal
    I just bought an AVID Elixir R Front brake kit which are on FIRE SALE at REI for $95.00

I have never owned Hydraulic brakes before... The first three rides were very irritating because I couldn't get the pads to stop dragging on the rotor. The rotor was straight at first but quickly developed some side to side warpage. One of the local bike shops tried straightening the rotor but it's not perfect.

BUT - yesterday I loosened the caliper a bit, looked carefully at the gap between the rotor/caliper and tapped the caliper one direction then the other until the rotor was rolling freely. So far, so good. I haven't done a ride yet with lots of downhill so we'll see what happens in a few days
    next time, try this alignment method:
    pump brake a couple times
    loosen the two CPS bolts
    hold down brake
    tighten CPS bolts while brake is still being held down

works perfect for me everytime
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ebay

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    next time, try this alignment method:
    pump brake a couple times
    loosen the two CPS bolts
    hold down brake
    tighten CPS bolts while brake is still being held down

works perfect for me everytime

This method is exactly right. The bike shop you went to should have known this.
    I like turtles

Religion = Non-thinking
    does this method help to reduce brake pad rub while riding? cuz i hate that haha
    where are the cps bolts?

and what exactly does the adjustment knob on the bb7/juicy7's do?
    RH SL Pro

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    does this method help to reduce brake pad rub while riding? cuz i hate that haha
    where are the cps bolts?

and what exactly does the adjustment knob on the bb7/juicy7's do?
    if done correctly, and the pads are set correctly, then there should be zero brake rub provided your rotors are reasonably true. The method is more complicated on the bb7/bb7 because those brakes only actuate a single piston, whereas on a hydro, opposing pistons actuate simultaneously. The CPS bolts are the two bolts that have those funky conical washer things. the adjustment knobs on the bb7 move the pads in and out. there are no adjustment knobs on the juicy7 caliper.
    for bb7, this thread may help:
    BB7 Adjustment Questions: Any BB7 Pro's out there?

when I need to align bb7s, I usually loosen the cps bolts, dial the knobs inward alternating sides until the pads are clamped down on the rotor, tighten the CPS bolts, and back out the pads using the adjustment knobs.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six