mtbr member
    May 2006

Idea! Textured Levers?

Hey guys. Maybe I haven't been exposed to enough mountain bikes in my life but I don't remember EVER seeing textured brake levers on a bike. I'm not talking about rubber coated levers, I'm talking about levers with a pattern (diamond pattern for eg,) cut into the surface of the lever for the sake of increasing grip. There are full finger gloves with rubber tips out there obviously designed for people who are not satisfied with the grippiness of standard gloves, doesn't that indicate that levers are lacking?

Are there any textured levers out there?

Do you think brake systems weather cable or hydrolic would benifit from levers with more grip?

Are there any reasons why this isn't practical?

Just wondering. Thanks

mtbr member
    There are several examples of aftermarket levers which have a design etched/machined into them to increase the grip. I personally use the Dangerboys and love them...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Get over it!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Wow, those levers are but not what I was thinking. Hey, at least someone else thought about it before me. It is a good idea. Where would I find those levers and others like them online? Thanks

mtbr member
    What type of brakes do you have now?
    Get over it!

Thunder Chunky
    i know what your talking about...like the diamond crosscut kind of pattern? I have never seen it on brake levers if that is what your are talking about. I would think though that it would be hard to get a good combination of grip without tearing up your fingers when you ride...But maybe there is money to be made there...idk

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I second the Dangerboy levers. A tad bit expensive but worth the dough. Love the feel and inspires confidence with single digit braking.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Madmax: yeah, that's what I was thinking. To my eyes, that's the most grippiest pattern.

lebikerboy, sorry for the late response. I have Juicy 3 brakes on the specialized but can't afford these things. I just thought it was a great idea and was wondering if anything like what I was thinking was out there.

Are there any other brands?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Make your own little crosshatch grips on your existing Juicy levers. Shouldn't be that hard. A little careful massaging with a hacksaw, some nicely placed little cuts that maybe only go about .5mm in, and then smooth them out with some light grit sandpaper. Voila, you're done, and it didn't cost you a cent.

Poorly Disguised Poser

Dremel?

Quote Originally Posted by BlownCivic
    Make your own little crosshatch grips on your existing Juicy levers. Shouldn't be that hard. A little careful massaging with a hacksaw, some nicely placed little cuts that maybe only go about .5mm in, and then smooth them out with some light grit sandpaper. Voila, you're done, and it didn't cost you a cent.
    I agree, only would suggest using a dremel tool. I bet it would not take long at all, and you would end up with something truly special. One of a kind brake levers built to your demanding standards! How cool would that be?
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member

Why?

I don't want my finger stuck to the lever as it's not a point of control like the handlebars but a freind of minelikes that extra traction and all it takes is a little strip of that traction tape from a skateboard cut to fit.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    unit, I actually think that a hacksaw (dull one though) would be better than a dremel. I have a dremel and it's not the easiest thing to control. Even the etchin bits are a bit sketchy to handle. (Yeah, I need practice. ) I'm also very apprehensive about doing it myself since I'm afraid of introducing weak spots in the lever. Don't want to take a dive and loose a lever..

Maybe I can practice on my V brake levers.....

bang
    i would just use grip tape (you know, the stuff you use on baseball bats). comes in all sorts of colors, lever won't be freezing cold in the winter, won't permanently scar levers, cheap, etc...

mtbr member

Good job! Its all in the dip.

I use this on my levers and every year people ask me about it and next time I see them they are useing it too,

http://www.plastidip.com/consumer/index.html

Poorly Disguised Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by eebowler
    unit, I actually think that a hacksaw (dull one though) would be better than a dremel.
    To each their own....You could also get some ultra coarse grit sand paper and rough them up a bit...depends on how deep of texture you want.

You have got to be the first person I have ever heard that prefers a dull hacksaw to a dremel tool .
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Why don't you guys look for Tioga brake lever covers? It fits over the brake lever blades like a condom, it's textured and it's cheap. Ebay occasionally sells them.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    lol unit. I'm still a novice.

local trails rider
    Want grip?
    put a strip of skateboard tape or something similar there. It can do wonders to a pistol's grip, why not a brake lever. Hardware stores might have some suitable products too.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well, I tried with the dremel and.... it looks like I took a bad crash. Yeah, it's that ugly. lol. (next time, remind me to take the levers off the bike first ) On the left lever, I managed to put three groves while on the right, only two. The left lever feels much better than before as the highest grove (along the length of the lever) is in the best position. The right lever feels better than before but isn't as good as the left.

I'm a bit skeptical to do the same with the hydrolic levers as they seem to be thinner.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    i know what your talking about...like the diamond crosscut kind of pattern? I have never seen it on brake levers if that is what your are talking about. I would think though that it would be hard to get a good combination of grip without tearing up your fingers when you ride...But maybe there is money to be made there...idk
    Knurling?
    Knurled images

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah Tony, that's what I was talking about but decided not to do that pattern because it would have made the levers weaker.