mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Temperature limits for hydraulic brakes

Anyone have or know of outside temperature limits for hydraulic brakes? Found this in the XT disc brake reviews. I ride all year round in occasional single digit temperatures, and was looking to upgrade to XT brakes from Juicy 3s.

My LBS told me that the seals have a tendency to fail if temperatures get low. They are on-repairable, so I will need to get them replaced under warranty. Lucky I didn't go out touring in winter with these.

Don't buy it if you intend to ride throughout the year, and live in a part of the world where it gets cold during the winter.

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    It looks like the oil will freeze at about -22 to -30 deg C. Therefore, I would not ride in -8 to -22 deg F, lets just say below 0 deg F. I have been out on my XT brakes in the low
    30's and high 20's with no issues. My seals are intact but I was not hammering down either just mild braking. I have not heard this from my LBS either but I will ask.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If there is I haven't found it yet. I use aircraft hydraulic fluid which is good to -60C in my XT discs, it doesn't get that cold even in Canada so I can't really test that out. I think the coldest temperature I've ever ridden my bike in was around -25C, no problems there other than my hands and feet freezing up.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I have heard random grievances on the internetz about Shimano brake issues at low temperatures.

But nothing I've used has every had any perceivable problems at all (M810, M775, M765, and also Juicy, Elixir, Vintage Hayes Mags) down to -25C,

They all felt the same, at least as much as I could tell with giant gloves on.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by urmb View Post
    Anyone have or know of outside temperature limits for hydraulic brakes? Found this in the XT disc brake reviews. I ride all year round in occasional single digit temperatures, and was looking to upgrade to XT brakes from Juicy 3s.

My LBS told me that the seals have a tendency to fail if temperatures get low. They are on-repairable, so I will need to get them replaced under warranty. Lucky I didn't go out touring in winter with these.

Don't buy it if you intend to ride throughout the year, and live in a part of the world where it gets cold during the winter.

urmb
    I ride all winter long on XTR's with mineral oil...down to -36C.....Only problem is the calipers will leak a little bit of oil when it gets really cold....no big deal I just fill the reservior at the start and at the end of winter......October to April.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I ride all winter long on XTR's with mineral oil...down to -36C.....Only problem is the calipers will leak a little bit of oil when it gets really cold....no big deal I just fill the reservior at the start and at the end of winter......October to April.
    Dude, if you are riding in -36C weather you are a bad man. I would be afraid my Al frame would shatter at that temp.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Friend had his older XTs leak on a 20deg ride. Never encountered any other brake leaking due to temperature. Think it has to do with their triangular seals as opposed to everyone else who use a square seal. Temperature contraction likely has a bit more of an effect on a smaller, pointier surface.
    You are not what you own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the useful replies. I am kind of whimpy riding only in single digit temps on occasion. I did notice that Surly has only BB7s on their winter oriented bikes (Moonlander, Pug, etc.).

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    me too, I have heard random grievances on the internetz about Shimano brake issues at low temperatures.thanks