mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Tektro Novela Disk Brakes - Adjustment and bent rotor?

Hi all,

Bought my bike almost two months ago, I'm having bad brake squeal especially after a ride. I started to adjust them myself today (I'm a newb, but figured if I've rebuilt cars before and am technically minded, and some guy making $12 an hour can do it, so can I ) but am concerned about a couple things. They way they were, after last nights ride, just rolling it out of the garage gave a continual squeal. I loosened the bolt up on the stationary caliper all the way, which is as loose as it has to be to not prohibit the wheel from spinning freely (any tighter slows the wheel down after about 4 seconds), but it appears to the untrained eye as though my rotor might be bent too. You'll see in the video below (and hear, if your speakers are up), that the rotor knocks against the stationary caliper at the same point each rotation.

Should I take the bike back to the LBS that I bought it from for replacement (the rotor)? It has done this from the beginning, but after taking it there and having them adjust it a month ago, they said it should be fine and everything looked good. Maybe I should have listened to my better judgement.

VIDEO0017 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by howetechnical View Post
    Hi all,

Bought my bike almost two months ago, I'm having bad brake squeal especially after a ride. I started to adjust them myself today (I'm a newb, but figured if I've rebuilt cars before and am technically minded, and some guy making $12 an hour can do it, so can I ) but am concerned about a couple things. They way they were, after last nights ride, just rolling it out of the garage gave a continual squeal. I loosened the bolt up on the stationary caliper all the way, which is as loose as it has to be to not prohibit the wheel from spinning freely (any tighter slows the wheel down after about 4 seconds), but it appears to the untrained eye as though my rotor might be bent too. You'll see in the video below (and hear, if your speakers are up), that the rotor knocks against the stationary caliper at the same point each rotation.

Should I take the bike back to the LBS that I bought it from for replacement (the rotor)? It has done this from the beginning, but after taking it there and having them adjust it a month ago, they said it should be fine and everything looked good. Maybe I should have listened to my better judgement.

VIDEO0017 - YouTube
    Yeah, the rotor looks a little warped. You can straighten it back out with an adjustable wrench if you use a little finesse....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the tip. I took it to another LBS and they adjusted it correctly, however now there's another problem. I'll post a new topic since it's different.

mtbr member
    Can you only adjust the pads from one side. I had some Avid BB5's and the pad was adjustable from one side. I delt with bend rotors and rub all the time. If thats the case, I would suggest getting some Avid BB7, you can adjust both pads and actually center the caliper.
    When the **** did we get ice cream?