Fat boy Mod Moderator

tektro mineral oil... can I use any others?

I picked up a set of Tektro Auriga comp's from jenson... being OEM take offs it seems they wern't bled as well a jenson wants to make you think...

i can source everything else I'd need but i'm not sure if my LBS will have the tektro specific mineral oil... so can I use pretty much any mineral brake oil that the LBS has in stock?

side note... those leavers are HUGE...

thanks
    mark
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I recently bought two sets from Jenson as well. One set came bled pretty well, the other was way too loose. I gave them a call and within two days had another set with proper bleeding at my door. They advanced the set even before I sent back the other set.

mtbr member
    i believe you can use any mineral oil. not even brake specific stuff. not positive, though.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    d1pham.. tempting... especially considering a few of the brake rotor screws where cross threaded... i just used the ones from my avids i had but i think i'll give em a call thanks for the tip
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeLazer
    i believe you can use any mineral oil. not even brake specific stuff. not positive, though.
    If you're not sure, why bother even posting your thoughts when you don't have the technical knowledge, then punctuate it with "not positive"?

The forum has become riddled with this type of bad advice, especially as of late where new people are coming on board and posting lots of bad information and getting defensive when they are called on it.

Now here are the facts of mineral oil used in brake systems: The fluid is not the same as the fluid from a drug store. One can not drink mineral fluid in brake systems. One can't dump old mineral brake fluid down the drain. Contrary to the perpetuated myths on these forums, the fluid should not be interchanged with drug store mineral oil. The hydraulic use oil has many additives in it that attempt to make it thermally stable, under use, as well as environmental conditions. In addition, there are additives to protect and lubricate metals and composites and rubbers used in these systems. Additionally, these additives would make it...a bit toxic to ingest, contrary to these people that say mineral oil is non-toxic, as well as to the environment.

Dirt Deviant
    I use Shimano Mineral oil to bleed the Tektro's and it works great. I have heard of some motorcycle mineral oil's ( not DOT fluid) that will work too, but can't recall the brand or model. I believe there is a synthetic mineral oil made for motorcycles too that I read will work with some systems. I'm sure deeper searching will come up with info here on MTBR.
    I believe that Magura has a couple different types of fluid too. They are different weight oils. I think it is Magura.
    The Shimano oil is pretty easy to find at most local shops, so I would say to look for that.
    The Tektros are really easy to bleed. Some of the easiest I have done so far. In fact, I love bleeding them....LOL
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

banned
    You can also use Pentosin-FeBi Bilstein-VW/Audi-Liqui-Moly mineral based hydraulic fluid, which if green, is Pentosin 7.1. There is also an 11s synthetic, though it's harder to find outside of a dealer for $40/liter. The 7.1 should be available for between 15-20 US/liter online and through European Auto Parts stores. Has very good cold weather properties, which was why it was specced for these hydraulic systems.

Castrol also has a power steering fluid available more inexpensively from Jaguar dealers.

Luckily, if I get a mineral based system, the Lubro Moly branded one and the oem Audi stuff is super cheap and available at any autoparts or hardware store, in contrast to the availability and pricing in the US.

I would buy a liter, then put a small portion in a smaller bottle for trips, just in case you're out somewhere and get air or something. At least with DOT, I can head into a 7-11 and pick up DOT if there's ever a need for a bleed and with Hope, no need to bring a bleed kit with me, either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    You can also use Pentosin-FeBi Bilstein-VW/Audi-Liqui-Moly mineral based hydraulic fluid, which if green, is Pentosin 7.1. There is also an 11s synthetic, though it's harder to find outside of a dealer for $40/liter. The 7.1 should be available for between 15-20 US/liter online and through European Auto Parts stores. Has very good cold weather properties, which was why it was specced for these hydraulic systems.

Castrol also has a power steering fluid available more inexpensively from Jaguar dealers.

Luckily, if I get a mineral based system, the Lubro Moly branded one and the oem Audi stuff is super cheap and available at any autoparts or hardware store, in contrast to the availability and pricing in the US.

I would buy a liter, then put a small portion in a smaller bottle for trips, just in case you're out somewhere and get air or something. At least with DOT, I can head into a 7-11 and pick up DOT if there's ever a need for a bleed and with Hope, no need to bring a bleed kit with me, either.
    Good advice here. I just picked up a set of m535 deore hydros, and I plan to use Pentosin 7.1 in them when I get a chance to. I was warned away from the synthetic stuff though. I was told that it might cause the seals/lines to expand and leak. I don't have any experience with this, and will not risk my brakes to try to validate that. The non synthetic stuff will do me fine I'm sure. I'd be interested to know if anyone else had heard that or not.

banned
    There was and still is a controversy in the Audi circles of who can and can't use the 7.1 vs 11s, as people would say the 1990-ish cars and later could use 7.1 and the old 7.1 cars could not. However, all the books and rebuilders used the same seals in the same part number racks and pumps when the changeover was made. The 11s seems to be less available, even through dealers, while they all stock the 7.1 type (that might even be relabled for VAG) and I know for a fact that for repairs, the dealers were using 7.1 throughout, and I can only speculate that 11s might not directly damage seals, but can weep past them better. It was supposedly designed to cope with extremes, such as extreme cold when even 7.1 would cause symptoms of morning sickness in the rack.

Since these are brakes, I won't make any statement about 11s use, but 7.1 will be more than sufficient and safe.