Thread: tektro IO

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

tektro IO

Im looking for a new bike but im on a budget so most bikes i look at come with tektro IO which i hear suck, but im riding a bike with vbrakes right now, so would the tektro IO's be an improvement from that at least?

Former Bike Wrench
    In wet weather...they might be better

Otherwise, v-brakes work quite well vs a cheap mechanical disc

the giant.
    i currently have tektro io 160mm disk brakes. and compared to every single bike with v-brakes i have had the tektros outperform immensely. but for some reason the disk brakes work better when wet. they squeal like mad but the power is much better than when dry. so in wet conditions they are quite good brakes. if you clean the brakes often you should have the power you need.

and my little trick for cleaning oil/other contaminants off a brakes pad is take some sandpaper and fold it in half. place that sandpaper in between the pads and press the lever. pull the sandpaper down to roughen up the surface. keep doing this until the brakes are totally clean and look like new. after that is done take a CLEAN rag and rub off any brake dust. and a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol will clean the rotors. it seems tedious but it doesnt take long at all. it improves the braking power as long as they are clean. it works well and i do it every 5 rides or so. it may wear away your pads faster but it gives you power you need.

and hint. you should do that cleaning process after the first 2 rides or so to clean off the layer of dirt and other things off the pads and rotors when they came in the mail.