Thread: Tektro IO

mtbr member

Tektro IO

I have a set of Tektro IO Disc Brakes that refuse to lock my wheels sufficiently. For example, lets say I'm going walking pace. If I pull my front brake lever there is little chance that it will lock my tire enough that I will endo. The pads aren't new. I've been running them since the beginning of last August. I have checked cable tension. Am I expecting too much of my brakes?

Former Bike Wrench

Pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by Jareth
    Am I expecting too much of my brakes?
    The Tektro brakes are a perfect example of marketing getting in the way of performance. Bike manufacturers, in an effort to market their bikes, will put poorly functioning disc brakes on a bike instead of good functioning set of v-brakes. Unfortunately the Tektro mechanical disc brakes are really not up to par. I would suggest keeping an eye out for a set of Avid BB7's on sale as these are really the only mechanical disc to spend money on.

Good Luck

STINKY TOFU
    I agree, my mongoose came with Hydro Tektro's, and moderate speeds they work pretty good, but this last weekend I was moving down a pretty steep incline. Just a little brake front to keep it under control. Good thing I didnt let myslef build up too much speed because when I went to grab more brake after the first 30ft they barely slowed me down. I let this go on for about 20ft and then tried to lock the brakes up. No go, wheels kept on spinning like I had only applied half pressure. Luckily the decline flattened out on to a decent length flat section where I was able to stop. I was going to use these brakes for the rest of this season, but this little incident had me a bit spooked.