mtbr member

Tektro on Hardrock 29er, need more brakes...

I can use more braking power when going down hill, was considering trying a 185 front and maybe better pads but should I just pick up some BB7's and be done with it?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Fat-tired Roadie
    You may not be able to find different pads for those brakes. Price the bigger rotor and adapter, price a set of BB7s, and try whichever's cheaper. You can always try the other thing if the first one doesn't work. Or you can get hydraulics - the difference is pretty incredible.

Other things to look at, if you want to stick with a mechanical system, are the levers and the cable runs. Good quality levers make a big difference, and finishing the ends of cable runs well, which the warehouse doesn't always do, makes a big difference too. People say that aftermarket housings help, but I'm disinclined to believe they make that much difference.

FWIW, I had a Tektro IO on the front of a commuter bike for a while, and was pleasantly surprised by how well it worked. At least as well as my BB5s. People do like the 7s better.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Rub it............
    Tektro brakes only have one set of pads avail. And they are from Tektro. No other company makes them. Trust me I've looked.

Upgrading to a larger rotor will help, as well as going to a nicer brake cable system like Jagwire Ripcords. Also upgrading to a better lever helps. I recommend the Avid Speed Dial 7.

mtbr member
    The bike came with Jaqwire's on it, not sure if all Specialized come with them but several of the 2011's I've seen had them.
    When funds permit I'll get some closeout 2009 BB7's and Speed Dial 7 levers and some 185mm G2 rotors, should be a big difference in grip over what I have now.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Rub it............
    The Jagwire cables that come equipped with the bikes are just a standard cable. Nothing special. The Ripcords are Kevlar reinforced with much better ferrules than the normal plastic/alloy ends.

living in forever land
    what model of Tektro are they? Clarkes make pads for all models of tektro brakes

a larger rotor up front would be a good idear anyway, try it for a while, if this doesn't make the differance your looking for, you'll just end up buying a new caliper which will be cheaper than caliper + rotor
    "the sanctity of this agency requires the loss of a few personal freedoms...."