aL1
    mtbr member

Tektro Draco Hydraulic Disc brakes - Any good?

Are the Tektro Draco Hydraulic Disc brakes any good?

I've read numerous negative reviews about Tektro Mechanical disc brakes, and a bike I'm looking to get has the Tektro Hydraulics'-

Thanks-
    Last edited by aL1; 10-24-2010 at 11:15 AM.
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc
    '06 Schwinn Aluminum Comp [R.I.P.]

mtbr member
    I have experience with a friend's tektro mechanicals and they were terrible. They'll probably be fine at least temporarily though.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnozpikr
    They'll probably be fine at least temporarily though.
    What do you base this on?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I am just saying that Tektro is a low-end brake and I can't imagine that their hydraulic line is any better. Also depending on the kind of riding you do/rider you are, they will probably be fine until ready to be upgraded. Not everybody can afford or wants to dish out the money for new disc brakes as they are quite expensive. For this reason we have low-end stuff. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with Tektro but simply that they are not on the same level as say Magura, Formula, or Shimano.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I'd much rather have a set of BB7s, than Tektro hydraulics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i have not ridden these but have worked on them. the lever feels pretty good from working on them. they are low end hydro. equivalent to a about a juicy 3

aL1
    mtbr member
    Good feedback everyone...makes my decision much easier-

@Berkley...good thought; I'll probably go with the base model with BB5's, and upgrade them later to BB7's-
    '09 Hardrock Sport Disc
    '06 Schwinn Aluminum Comp [R.I.P.]

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just waking this up for future visitors as I've now put about a thousand miles on a Draco front on my 700c fg winterbike. In the trails and on all conditions of pave, I've never felt safer! There is a strange howl at certain speed/squeeze spots that I've read can be adjusted out, but I like the head turning ability that gives me. It gives perfect one finger modulation and on warm dry tarmac two fingers takes me down from 20-30 to 0 quicker than even my cbr can! I'd reccomend everything but the rotor to any expert as I think its non-round design is an (successful) attempt a mechanical ABS that contributes a jiggle (correspondent with speed) only really noticeable on long paved descents- all I've noticed in the trails is that I stop quicker drastically quicker and easier. As far as I can tell the name means nothing. Whether tektro made this or they contracted it out, whoever made this did their homework. 3 months of mud, creeks, rain, and two months of salt and sand and going strong.

mtbr member
    In my opinion, the brake squeal can be minimized by changing the pads. Since the Tektro Hydro series, at least the older Auriga, use Shimano Deore M525 (not 535,585,...) compatible, replacement pads are easily found. I bought some from ebay and do not experience the noise I had with the stock pads. I think the brakes are pretty good, all of my family has them on their bikes and I put them on my two hard tails. My FS bike use Shimano Hydros...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

10,000 mile update!

after a long salty but snowless winter, a longer spring packed with multi-county rides, and a half summer, and a re-bleed, my draco has broken in and works totally correct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What do you mean works correclty?

just got my revel 0 ltd an read the breaks on the non ltd are better??? unsure :-s

J-Flo
    Apr 2012

Noisy Tektro Dracos

See this thread regarding Tektro Draco noise.

What could this noise be?

No one has answered my last post yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Smir- sorry for the super late responce, classes have been hell and I forgot my password. By "correct" I meant that they make as much noise as any bicycle disc brake in any given conditions, they (controllably) stop on a dime with very little hand effort and (the biggest complaint for this unit besides the insultingly low price) the inside piston has stopped hanging up and staying pressed against the rotor and slowly retracting back to its neutral position and it now does that immediately, just as any other hydraulic disc.

The only reason that I'm switching them out this fall for mechs is because I'm getting impatient and done waiting for affordable drop-bar hydraulic levers and want to go back to drop bars.