mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tektro brake quality?........

I notice a lot of less expensive bikes are using Tektro brakes. I don't get to ride often, but am considering a new (low $$) bike, I wonder about the quality of Tektro (disc or v) brakes. I have Avid v's on my and my wife's bikes and they work great. Am I going to be disappointed and immediately upgrading the Tektro's (if I end up with a bike with them)?

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    My wife's bike has tektro v brakes. Yes, they're aren't as nice as Avid's but they stop her bike just fine. I don't think the difference in performance would call attention to itself if I were just using them while riding instead of actively comparing them to something "better". If you are otherwise happy with the bike, I won't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    I notice a lot of less expensive bikes are using Tektro brakes. I don't get to ride often, but am considering a new (low $$) bike, I wonder about the quality of Tektro (disc or v) brakes. I have Avid v's on my and my wife's bikes and they work great. Am I going to be disappointed and immediately upgrading the Tektro's (if I end up with a bike with them)?

mtbr member

"temporary brakes"

I don't like the Tektro vee brakes, at all. They've been supplied OEM on a few of the less expensive bikes in our neighborhood/riding group, and also on my Schwinn cruiser tandem.

I don't like them because:
    --they sit loose on the brake boss, and will rock back and forth. This leads to brake squeal
    --they flex a lot under braking, leading to squeal and poor braking
    --the stock brake pads are heavy.

However, on a light rider's bike, they can be fine. An upgrade to the brake pads will work well, too. That said, with today's prices on Avid 7 vee brakes (an excellent set), a quick upgrade will resolve all those issues in one fell swoop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have tektro v's on one bike and avid 3's on another. Both work very good. I don't feel enough difference to tell if one is better than the other. The avids look cooler though. Although a clydesdale may see a difference ( a 200 lb.and above rider). I weigh 175 lbs. Oh yeah, one of my riding buddies has Tektros on his GT I-drive and he weighs 201 lbs. He's never complained about his brakes not having enough stopping power.

mtbr member
    i had tektro v's on my gary fisher marlin and really never had a problem with them. rode my first downhills at pisgah with them and they stopped pretty well for how fast i was going in the beginning. i upgraded to avid sd ti's and noticed some difference but really only going down for a long period of time. but that may be because of the better pads. i would think just upgrading pads would be fine. i haven't weighed them so i don't know how much heavier they are than my avids.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

After setup, you'll probably not be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    I think that V-brake power is 90% about setting up the brakes and levers properly, with those 20+ involved screws. Then comes pad quality, type of rim surface, and the brake and lever construction itself.

As I see it, V-brakes are a simple construction, and low-price competitors have had plenty of years to copy the best designs proven by the brand leaders, and the only noticeable benefit with pricier low-end V-brakes from brand leaders, is better finish and less lever play (less “flimsy”), and perhaps also a more attractive look. You have to go to higher-end V-brakes to also get lower weight.

There were simple Promax/Tektro V-brakes on a Fisher I bought, and after paying some time to set them up I didn’t feel any worse braking power with them as compared to my Avid SD5 levers and brakes on my old bike. I also weighed them:

Promax/Tektro levers+brakes: 608 g
    Avid SD5 levers+brakes: 620 g

So there goes the weight argument. But I still swapped the Avid brakeset to my new bike, because I liked the lesser lever play and the colors.

If I was looking for a low-$ bike, I would trust Promax or Tektro V-brakes.