mtbr member
    Jan 2011

tektro auriga not working

Hi, my bike was recently stolen and I'm in the process of building a bike to replace it. Limited funds mean that I'm using old kit I have saved.

I found and old set of tektro auriga comp brakes and fitted them to myframe but when I came to put the wheel on the pads were very tight, it took a bit of effort to open them up enough that the disc would slip between the pads.

Once I had sorted that the brake pads now still touch the disc all the time and when I squeeze the brake lever the pull is really weak.

Do these brakes just need bleeding or are they knackered after 3 years sat in a damp garage?

Cheers

mtbr member
    You could try a few things:
    1. They may need a mineral oil fluid change, not real hard to do with their kit and the included syringe. My Shimano's needed it after a few years.
    2. You could pump the lever a bit with pads out and caliper in hand, just a bit so the sides of the piston show, but not too much to pop it out of the seal. Then dip a clean q-tip or similar in the Tektro mineral oil and go around the piston to lube it. When done push the piston back then cycle the piston in and out a few times. This is an old Shimano trick.
    IF there is no internal damage, you should be okay after that.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    You could try a few things:
    1. They may need a mineral oil fluid change, not real hard to do with their kit and the included syringe. My Shimano's needed it after a few years.
    2. You could pump the lever a bit with pads out and caliper in hand, just a bit so the sides of the piston show, but not too much to pop it out of the seal. Then dip a clean q-tip or similar in the Tektro mineral oil and go around the piston to lube it. When done push the piston back then cycle the piston in and out a few times. This is an old Shimano trick.
    IF there is no internal damage, you should be okay after that.
    This is a good place to start for sure.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!