Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    289

    New question here. Tektro Auriga Comp - stiff lever? overheating?

    Hi everyone.
    I've had my Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic disc brakes for almost a year, and I really like them.
    For those who don't know them (I know they are not very popular) I've heard they are something similar to Deore or Deore LX. It even uses the same brake pads of the Deore.

    However, I've noticed that on longer descents (2 minutes or so) where I really use them, the brake lever gets stiffer. That is, I have to press it harder with my hand, and it has less travel.
    Usually, they are completely silent, but during heavy use the sound of breaking changes. It does not squeak, it only sounds like 2 pieces of metal rubbing.
    I don't notice less braking power, and after cooling down may be for a minute they work normally again.

    What is that? May be overheating, or something else? This model is an open system, with mineral oil.

    I am running both 160 mm rotors. Would I benefit from larger rotors?

    This is the model I have, with slightly different levers:
    http://www.tektro.com/02products/01auigacomp.php


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    289
    Bump. Anyone? Ideas?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1
    I ran into the same problem today. Mine however did not return to normal. Even after cooling down. The rear brake lever is still very stiff with little travel. Less stopping power with mine. Any input is appreciated.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SanDiegan420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    149
    i have tektro auriga comps and i have been having problems that the rear brake gets super noisy (like spokes) only when they are hot. If i had to guess, i'd say It sounds like the pads are actually catching the drilled holes on the rotors. but it makes the rear very noisy and it shakes

    Any advice is appreciated.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan420
    i have tektro auriga comps and i have been having problems that the rear brake gets super noisy (like spokes) only when they are hot. If i had to guess, i'd say It sounds like the pads are actually catching the drilled holes on the rotors. but it makes the rear very noisy and it shakes

    Any advice is appreciated.
    I have the same problem now.
    Everything was working fine until I took my bike to get the rear hub (Deore) serviced. They changed the cones and also serviced the freewheel.
    The cones the LBS had were not identical to the original ones: they were thinner, so they added a 1 mm (or so) washer.
    So now when my bike is on the stand, it works fine. When I am riding it, I guess something is flexing. I have lots of noise, and it sound like something is touching the spokes.

    Ideas? How should I solve this?

  6. #6
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by leoh
    I have the same problem now.
    Everything was working fine until I took my bike to get the rear hub (Deore) serviced. They changed the cones and also serviced the freewheel.
    The cones the LBS had were not identical to the original ones: they were thinner, so they added a 1 mm (or so) washer.
    So now when my bike is on the stand, it works fine. When I am riding it, I guess something is flexing. I have lots of noise, and it sound like something is touching the spokes.

    Ideas? How should I solve this?
    Look to see if the caliper is touching the spokes, or really close to them.
    If they didn't space the axle washers properly the caliper could be hitting the spokes now. I've seen this before.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    289
    Ok, I think I have figured out the noise issue. Or kind of.
    The rotor (which is not round but wavy) is touching the caliper body.
    I mean the caliper body, not the pads. It's touching on the upper part of the caliper.
    Why? Because I had a sticky piston, and it caused the caliper to be missaligned (when you allign the caliper, you align it respect to the pads, not the caliper body.
    So it was more to one side and caused it to rub the caliper body under certain circumstances and frame flex.
    That caused a noise that sounded similar to something touching the spokes (it was the wavy rotor touching the caliper).
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SanDiegan420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    149
    yes... that must be it! i took my wheel off and i can see one portion that is clearly rubbed down, not in the same spot as yours but its obvious the edge of the rotor is hitting the caliper body.....

    I am a newbie, can you tell me how you align the caliper?

    Also, how would one remove the brake pads? I read about aftermarket pads (made for Deore 525 but fit the tektro) that make a world of difference.... and my tektros suck!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vk45de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,084
    i was gonna suggest that maybe it is metal on metal - your pad material is gone --> pad backing on rotor - but looks like you found some other cause

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27
    I've had the same noise from my rear brakes for as long as I can remember - and this does look like what's causing it. I'll take a look and verify when I get home. Has anyone found a solution for this?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SanDiegan420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by zaptheman
    I've had the same noise from my rear brakes for as long as I can remember - and this does look like what's causing it. I'll take a look and verify when I get home. Has anyone found a solution for this?

    on mine i figured out that the outer edges of the rotor are hitting the caliper. Never fixed it tho

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegan420
    on mine i figured out that the outer edges of the rotor are hitting the caliper. Never fixed it tho
    I looked at my caliper, no scruff marks. I'm probably having the same problem as the turkey warble on Avids. It's irritating, but I think if it's so widespread and it doesn't seem to affect performance that much - best to leave it as is until it just gives up?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •