mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Technical advice required regarding XTR hydraulic brakes

Hi all

Im looking for some advice regarding removing the brake hose from the caliper of my XTR brakes.

I have bought some Bontrager housing covers which require the hose to be removed from the caliper to fit. I am unsure what the procedure is after removing the compression bolt from the caliper.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Are these covers replacing the existing hydraulic cable? or are they simply a cover?

If it requires you to remove the cable from the caliper end to install, I would recommend bleeding the entire system once you get the hydraulic cable back on just to make sure that you didn't get any air in the line. Just make sure you use Shimano Mineral oil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pull out the hose. You might not be able to slide the covers on with the compression fitting in place nor the olive.You might have to cut the cable, slide the covering on, slide the compression fitting on, slide a new olive on, insert a new end barb and screw it all back onto the caliper. A lot of work for just new covering though, unless it's pretty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for your responses.

The product is a small rubber cover which slides over the hose to protect your frame from cable damage.

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/produc...m13b0s105p4147

I have never taken apart a hydraulic system before so i am just wondering what to expect after removing the compression bolt.
    Should the hose lift out after removing the compresssion bolt or does the olive have to be slid up the hose to release it from the caliper?
    Once the hose has been removed can the olive be removed from the hose to avoid any cutting or does the hose have to be cut?

HaHa I think they look better than the patches which prevent cable rub and they are red and black to match my Carbide so i guess you could say they were pretty and functional.

Hope this makes sense and thanks again for your help

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The olive does not move once compressed. Once the compression fitting has been unscrewed, tug on the cable and it will pull out. Sometimes it takes a little bit of force. The only thing that should be holding it together is the olive being jammed into the hole. If the housing can not slide over the compression fitting, the cable with the olive compressed onto it has to be cut to allow the fitting to slide off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    And you can reuse the olive at least once so you could simply put it back in afterward if you could get the cover over it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks again for your responses. I will give it a go this evening and let you know how i got on.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The olives on my XTRs were compressed/crimped onto the hose to the point that they were not reusable. You might have better luck.

mtbr member
    You don't think the covers will rub against the frame as well?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi All

Job Done!

I had to replace the olive and Barb fitting. Luckily my LBS is open late on a Thursday.

Thanks to all who replied. Everything went smoothly and as described. Fitting the covers over the outers was something of a nightmare until i remembered an old trick from the days before lock on grips. 25 pence tin of hairspray sprayed inside the covers and they glided over the outers and bonded firmly when dried.

Obviously they will rub against the frame as well, however they are made of soft rubber and dont cause any wear to your frame. I have ran them on my gear cables for a couple of months now and there is absolutely no marking whatsoever. I just hadnt got round to having a go on the hydraulic brake lines. They really are a great product and i would recommend them to anyone.

Thanks again to everyone and a big shout out especially to the-one1.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    amazing... you put a shimano sticker on the seat stay and any bike looks like a walmart special.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Its a temporary measure to avoid heel rub to the stays.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Why are you running the rear hose outside the seatstay??
    You might want to move it back onto the original mounts on the seatstay in order to prevent the hose getting caught in something or getting crushed/torn in a crash or ripped out of the caliper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm not. I just ran out of cable ties after having removed the hose. I'll replace them tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You're welcome. The fee for my assistance will be in the form of a bike , your bike, the bike in the pictures. I will take no less. Thank you very much.

Glad it worked out for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ah that is what the covers are for. I have stickers cut up on my frame to avoid that, but those covers actually sound kind of nice I might try it in the future when Is crew with the hydraulic lines again sometime.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    They are great other than the hastle of fitting them. It would have been ideal to do it when the bike was originally being built up but i had so many other things on my mind regarding the spec it didnt occur to me at the time. Ive removed all the cable patches i had on the frame now and i reckon its a lot cleaner looking method of protection.

I should be studying...
    I used clear vinyl tubing to protect my frame from hydraulic lines damage.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

I should be studying...
    wow those do look nice.
    Formerly known as iceaxe