mtbr member

Tech M4 overkill for lightweight rider???

I'm looking at getting new brakes for my wife. Bike is an Ibis Mojo with a trail bike build. 2.35 tires, Marz 55 fork, 28lbs. She rides pretty aggressively but only weighs 125 lbs. I know a hot setup is Tech m4 front and Tech x2 rear but I'm wondering if the M4 is overkill for a light weight rider.

She is currently on Avid Juicys, 160's front and rear and she is happy with the performance. After 4 years the Juicys have a lot of lever slop and are probably ready to be replaced.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    If she is happy with her juicy's just buy some Elixirs. Even more power and modulation than the juicies. If you want the M4's, they will work, but then again, IMO there is nothing as too much power, just not enough control.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    The juicys were good brakes for both of us but only after spending a lot of time and money trying to get them to quit squealing. Took a change of pads and rotors to stop it. I don't feel like trying my luck with the Elixirs.

I think the M4's will be more brake than she needs so I'll probably go with the X2 with a 180/160 rotor combo.

I agree with the power vs control point. I put Formulas on my bike and they modulate so much better than my Juicy 7s did, plus they have more power.

banned
    They are not overkill. Check my user gallery to see my gf's setup, which is an M4 front 183 and a Mini rear 180.

I would say the M4 is overkill if it didn't offer great modulation, but this is not the case here. I actually put the M4 on the front of her bike because it modulated a bit better than the Mini, despite having way more power and fade resistance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I m riding a Yeti 575, is the M4 or X2 more suitable for my bike. Intend to use 180 front and 160 rear. I cant mix becoz at my LBS, they sell in a standard set.

mtbr member
    I decided to go with the Tech M4. I figure if they have great power and modulate well it will be worth the slight weight penalty over the X2.

If you want to mix and your local shop won't help you out try Wiggle.co.uk Really good prices, mix and match and free shipping.