Knollician

Tech M4 minor issue

I have a set of new Tech M4s on my Spot with 183/160 floating rotors. I have a few rides on them now, and they have seen about 30 miles.

On todays ride, I had to "feather" the brakes or lightly drag them to maintain speed. I noticed with minimal pressure there was a slight squeal. The squeal would go away for a while after a good romp on the brakes, only to return shortly after.

I am used to the complete silence of my Formulas, so this is driving me crazy. I have read through may threads, though it seems there really is no answer. My thought is the pads are glazing from the lite use? The pads are the stock organics. I have noticed that the pads are no longer centered now that the seals are breaking in.

On a side note, I seem to have the same issue with my V2s,

Would sintered pads help or make things worse? Is this a common trait of the Hopes. EBC green pads???? CRC brake silencer?
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I would make sure that everything is still centered/adjusted properly before buying stuff.

spray some water on the pads/rotor and ride around with the brakes lightly applied too. see if that helps scrub off any glaze.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Before your ride did you do anything to bed in the pads? I am running the Resin pads on my Minis and the sound you are describing I get from time to time also and I would say that it is a common noise to get from those pads. Going to sintered or semi-metalics might get rid of the noise but I can't say for certain. I am still running the stock pads on my M6s and they are quiet for the most part with the occasional noise here and there.

banned
    Wear the brakes in, make sure you get them hot a bunch of times, wash everything in alcohol.

If I remember right, I didn't like the organics, though they worked. A bit touchy, without the ultimate braking power of the metallics. The metallics are a lot smoother, squeal only momentarily when wet.

Anyhow, just bed it all in, wash everything down. Probably lightly sand the pads. FWIW, my neighbor's puros let us know he's coming by. They're not squeal-proof, either. In fact, they are the loudest things I've ever heard.

...idios...
    Take the pads out and find something you can fit into the rotor aperture and allow you to extend the pistons without them moving byond the seals. Like this...

(sorry the picture is so huge; I'm not at home and had to snatch the picture from my caliper overhaul guide)

5spacer2.jpg

Use some DOT fluid or silicone spray and wet the pistons, then push them back into the caliper. Repeat this three or four times to ensure that all the pistons/seals are coming properly into use when the brake is applied.

Take a look at the pad centralising technique video (link) on Hope's site. It's actually easier to perform with the M4 than the X/V2 because you can get your 'poke' evenly in the center of the pads.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Knollician
    Thanks all.

How do you guys bed in your pads?

Do you guys stick with the Hope pads, or do you buy aftermarkets?
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

banned
    Normally give a light sand, wash with alcohol, then ride. The riding takes care of it, but I avoid a long descent. I just do a 30-50 foot (high)driveway and run it down a few times. That seems to do the trick. Sometimes I also just drag the brakes to varying degrees while I'm pedaling. Even pedaling through a nearly locked brake does a good job in just a few feet in the driveway.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Thanks all.

How do you guys bed in your pads?

Do you guys stick with the Hope pads, or do you buy aftermarkets?

I my self stick to the Hope pads, I like them and they work well for me.

To bed in the pads; Spin up to 10-15 mph and then apply the brakes with meduim force and come almost to a complete stop but don't completely stop or lock up the brakes. Ride around for a minute or two and then do it again. You want to do this maybe 15-20 times and that will get the brakes bedded in to the point that you are ready to hit the trail. Bedding in the brakes does a couple of things it allows the brake pads and rotors to set up a weat pattern of sorts so they are getting good and even contact to maximize braking as well as somewhat evenly distribute a layer of brake pad material onto the rotors which will help with smooth braking and to keep the noise down (this info was from memory from the Avid brake pad bedding procedure).