Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Talk me off the ledge, I'm about to jump!

5K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Brian-B 
#1 ·
I've threatened before, but I'm about to do it for real this time. I'm ready to give up on Hydros and go with BB7's.

I've about had all the fun I can stand with these Elixir 5 brakes. I want to like them and I admittedly have yet to try all the tricks that people have shared on this forum (have tried some), but it seems like these brakes are simply more hassle than they are worth. I've also considered higher end hydros. Maybe that's the right answer too, but it just seems to me that the BB7 mech's might just be a lot more hassle free.

Talk me off the ledge boys! Give me a good reason not to do it! :D

#36 ·
I've threatened before, but I'm about to do it for real this time. I'm ready to give up on Hydros and go with BB7's.

I've about had all the fun I can stand with these Elixir 5 brakes. I want to like them and I admittedly have yet to try all the tricks that people have shared on this forum (have tried some), but it seems like these brakes are simply more hassle than they are worth. I've also considered higher end hydros. Maybe that's the right answer too, but it just seems to me that the BB7 mech's might just be a lot more hassle free.

Talk me off the ledge boys! Give me a good reason not to do it! :D
I love the Shamino brakes and even own a set of the XT's on my wife's Tranny. Having said that, the Hope brakes are a tad pricy, but are the best brakes in the industry. Nothing is better. I have owned 4 or 5 sets with a ton of parts here and there, and they are a set it and forget it brake. They retract great (no disk rub) tons of power (V and M series) and have a ton of adjustments for the lever. A REAL one finger brake with gobs of power.
Again it's a tad pricy, but they are just awesome, and great to look at.

#39 ·
I just switched to Hayes Prime Pro's from Elixer 5's and couldn't be happier. Easiest brakes to adjust than I have ever used or seen and pretty darn quiet as well. Get what your happy with, because you'll get a million different opinions here and we all know what opinions are like!

Good luck!

#40 ·
biggest thing with all hydro brakes, if theres air, braking will suck. all my brakes are hydro, i wouldnt have it any other way. from code r to echo tr rim brakes (hs33 knockoffs). my best experience with disc brakes are hopes. the only real problem i had was the lever started leaking on a 8 year old lever. not a huge fan of shimanos except for the old 4 piston xt and of course saints.

#41 ·
Ironically I came across this thread trying to find anyone who has problems with Shimano brakes...
My Jamis Dakota came with 485's and the caliper started sticking. I put a new M446 caliper in its place yesterday and bled it. Lever takes up much faster than it did before, feels great -- but the pads always drag no matter what I do. I did try resetting the pads by opening the reservoir back up and compressing the pistons and starting over.... It seems like the pistons just don't retract enough from the rotor to keep the pads from dragging... Never had this much trouble with the old caliper either; do you have any ideas where to start?

(I probably just cursed myself by giving the bb7's on my old bike to a friend last week haha)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.