Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I said nothing close to that. Sure, I could get by fine(on my local trails) with mechanicals. Would I trade Elixir 5's for BB7s? Definitely not(and I have owned and worked on both).
    I was kidding a little bit there. I've only ridden BB7s and want to try out hydros, but mechanicals get the job done if setup correctly with rotors matched to the rider's weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMack10 View Post
    Because itís the anonymous internet, and I can hide behind my keyboard with zero accountability..
    LOL Do you actually believe that? Any low level hacker could find out more info on you than you even know about yourself! Its just that on this forum, no one really cares to do it.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    ncfisherman,

When hydraulic brakes WORK they may be less maintenance intensive but it isn't like BB7's are all that hard to set up or to adjust once the pads start to wear. And when hydraulics don't work, like in my case, they are a screaming pain in the arse. I adjusted my brakes just about every ride, either before or after the ride. There were plenty of times where I had to stop and fiddle with them in the middle of a ride. The amount of time I have put into these BB7's compared to my old hydraulics brakes is negligible. I don't know how many times I brought the bike to a shop but it was a bunch. They would adjust the brakes and I would go out and ride, within 4 or 5 miles they were dragging again.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dm1333 View Post
    ncfisherman,

When hydraulic brakes WORK they may be less maintenance intensive but it isn't like BB7's are all that hard to set up or to adjust once the pads start to wear. And when hydraulics don't work, like in my case, they are a screaming pain in the arse. I adjusted my brakes just about every ride, either before or after the ride. There were plenty of times where I had to stop and fiddle with them in the middle of a ride. The amount of time I have put into these BB7's compared to my old hydraulics brakes is negligible. I don't know how many times I brought the bike to a shop but it was a bunch. They would adjust the brakes and I would go out and ride, within 4 or 5 miles they were dragging again.
    I hear ya. I'm only trying to point out that there are a lot of hassle free hydro disc brakes out there, but yes, some may require more detailed set up. I can't remember the last time that I had to fiddle with the disc brakes on any of my personal bikes - the two bikes that I ride the most have Hope Tech m4's and Magura MT8s(which I haven't touched since setting up 7 months ago). Trust me, the last thing I want to do is work on my bike, when I have worked on other people's bikes all week.

Anyways, good luck to the OP with whatever he goes with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I hear ya. I'm only trying to point out that there are a lot of hassle free hydro disc brakes out there, but yes, some may require more detailed set up. I can't remember the last time that I had to fiddle with the disc brakes on any of my personal bikes - the two bikes that I ride the most have Hope Tech m4's and Magura MT8s(which I haven't touched since setting up 7 months ago). Trust me, the last thing I want to do is work on my bike, when I have worked on other people's bikes all week.

Anyways, good luck to the OP with whatever he goes with.
    Do you think any of these are easier for the novice to setup?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by utahheadgear View Post
    I've threatened before, but I'm about to do it for real this time. I'm ready to give up on Hydros and go with BB7's.

I've about had all the fun I can stand with these Elixir 5 brakes. I want to like them and I admittedly have yet to try all the tricks that people have shared on this forum (have tried some), but it seems like these brakes are simply more hassle than they are worth. I've also considered higher end hydros. Maybe that's the right answer too, but it just seems to me that the BB7 mech's might just be a lot more hassle free.

Talk me off the ledge boys! Give me a good reason not to do it!
    Chances are that if you get a new set of hydros, they will be better. Some are just problematic, but most are not.

Seems to me that in most cases, hydros work great, and when they do, they are essentially maintenance free, because they self adjust, and the lines can go a LONG time without bleeding. However, you can, on occasion, get an issue (or issues) that can drive you insane. So they are usually great, but in rare cases they are a nightmare.

BB7s need more ongoing attention, but it is really simple, and I am not aware of anything that is not a pretty straightforward fix. So while they are more maintenance, they seem more reliable to me.

Turned my back on a set of hydros that were constant trouble 10 years ago, got a set of bb7's and have never regretted it. I've ended up buying several more sets for additional bikes. I'd like to give hydros another shot sometime, but can never bring myself to drop the $. I've used hydros plenty of times, and the do feel nicer, but I never see any real difference in overall performance. It might help that I use Ripcord cable/housing and know how to run them.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thought I'd follow up on this. Better late than never, right?
    Anyway, I stuck it out with the Elixirs and through much trial and error have finally got them running very nicely. It was a big learning curve, but probably worth the hassle. Gotta get the air out! That's the key, and its easier said than done. When I got it though.... They work!

waiting for a piece (.45)
    I've threatened before, but I'm about to do it for real this time. I'm ready to give up on Hydros and go with BB7's.

I've about had all the fun I can stand with these Elixir 5 brakes. I want to like them and I admittedly have yet to try all the tricks that people have shared on this forum (have tried some), but it seems like these brakes are simply more hassle than they are worth. I've also considered higher end hydros. Maybe that's the right answer too, but it just seems to me that the BB7 mech's might just be a lot more hassle free.

DON'T DO IT MAN.... LIFE HAS SO MUCH TO GIVE!!!! Okay, I can't think of any reason not to, I've ridden cables and hydraulics and I've found that under a 45lbs DH bike on a White Bros. fork (S7) riding on Vancouver Island that cables can't dissipate heat very well after ten minutes of down.... Then again I've ridden full hydros on a XC steel frame with a 5" travel fork and after ten minutes on the same trail on Vancouver Island they also can't dissipate heat!!

The question you need to answer is how much trouble are you willing to put up with.... cables need to be set-up once and only the once. Hydraulics need to be adjusted correctly the first time otherwise they drag like the Rocky Horror Picture Show and will keep doing that because that is how they are broken in.

It's not gospel it's just experience.....

mtbr member
    I don't know... I have a fully rigid Kona Unit SS with BB7's and a geared Scott RC with XTR brakes.. I ride somewhat technical single track in SE Missouri... They both work and both have been easy to work with.. But I have to say... My Kona gets about 75% more use...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If they were Shimano's I would have offered to take them off you hands, yeah

mtbr member

I love the Shamino brakes and even own a set of the XT's on my wife's Tranny. Having said that, the Hope brakes are a tad pricy, but are the best brakes in the industry. Nothing is better. I have owned 4 or 5 sets with a ton of parts here and there, and they are a set it and forget it brake. They retract great (no disk rub) tons of power (V and M series) and have a ton of adjustments for the lever. A REAL one finger brake with gobs of power.
    Again it's a tad pricy, but they are just awesome, and great to look at.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    LOL Do you actually believe that? Any low level hacker could find out more info on you than you even know about yourself! Its just that on this forum, no one really cares to do it.
    Just a idiot from 4chan, ignore him.

Afric Pepperbird
    Thought I'd follow up on this. Better late than never, right?
    Anyway, I stuck it out with the Elixirs and through much trial and error have finally got them running very nicely. It was a big learning curve, but probably worth the hassle. Gotta get the air out! That's the key, and its easier said than done. When I got it though.... They work!
    So, did anyone who posted here within the last week even bother to read what the OP posted above??

He's got the problem solved! His Elixirs are running fine now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just switched to Hayes Prime Pro's from Elixer 5's and couldn't be happier. Easiest brakes to adjust than I have ever used or seen and pretty darn quiet as well. Get what your happy with, because you'll get a million different opinions here and we all know what opinions are like!

Good luck!
    2014 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Pro

life on 2 wheels
    Apr 2012
    biggest thing with all hydro brakes, if theres air, braking will suck. all my brakes are hydro, i wouldnt have it any other way. from code r to echo tr rim brakes (hs33 knockoffs). my best experience with disc brakes are hopes. the only real problem i had was the lever started leaking on a 8 year old lever. not a huge fan of shimanos except for the old 4 piston xt and of course saints.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Ironically I came across this thread trying to find anyone who has problems with Shimano brakes...
    My Jamis Dakota came with 485's and the caliper started sticking. I put a new M446 caliper in its place yesterday and bled it. Lever takes up much faster than it did before, feels great -- but the pads always drag no matter what I do. I did try resetting the pads by opening the reservoir back up and compressing the pistons and starting over.... It seems like the pistons just don't retract enough from the rotor to keep the pads from dragging... Never had this much trouble with the old caliper either; do you have any ideas where to start?

(I probably just cursed myself by giving the bb7's on my old bike to a friend last week haha)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2