mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Talk to me about v-brakes and bushing slop

Two of my bikes still use v-brakes, and will continue to use v-brakes for the foreseeable future. For a while, the brakes were changed regularly enough that I never had to worry about the brake arm's bushing wearing, and the resultant slop in the brake arm. However, the two bikes now have nice, light v-brakes, and I want to use them for a long time.

So, aside from keeping them clean and the pivot greased, is there anything else I can do to prevent wear?

Once the bushings wear, is there anything I can do aside from find new brakes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    "So, aside from keeping them clean and the pivot greased, is there anything else I can do to prevent wear?"

Not much, that's pretty much what you need to do.

"Once the bushings wear, is there anything I can do aside from find new brakes?"

Depends on the brakes. There are a few out there that have replaceable bushings. Most do not. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. I've got a 10 year old set of Avid SD7s that are still going strong and they've been used pretty regularly over that time span. That's one of the advantages of good quality Vs. Bushings and other bits are of better quality, harder materials and much longer wearing.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Two words

Inevitable
    Dispose

Sounds like a moment of epiphany here. Mine came in a rainy downhill with Avid SD mags on XTR levers with crossmax ceramic rims. Hit the brakes on a fireroad descent to make a turn off it and sailed past the turn not having actually started slowing yet. Been on dics since despite the weight penalty
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRandall
    Sounds like a moment of epiphany here. Mine came in a rainy downhill with Avid SD mags on XTR levers with crossmax ceramic rims. Hit the brakes on a fireroad descent to make a turn off it and sailed past the turn not having actually started slowing yet. Been on dics since despite the weight penalty
    I think you've misunderstood my post. I've been riding a long time, have used many different kinds of disc brakes, and are running them on two of my bikes now. However, for these two bikes I like v-brakes better for several reasons, and they will be staying with v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    You could get Avid SD Ultimates...they pivot on cartridge bearings...