Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Takes two to bleed Martas?

696 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  dogonfr 
#1 ·
According to the Magura bleeding instructions, looks like properly bleeding the brakes will require two people(one to PUSH fluid up and the other drawing excess fluid out the master). What's the trick? Looks like a two-man job, to do it right. TIA

#4 ·
Can be done alone, but it is much easier with an extra person at one end of the bike taking care of the excess fluid in the reservoir. I've done it alone by just going back and forth and only pushing a little bit of fluid through at a time. Just takes a bit of patience.

The easy bleed port on the 2009 versions makes MUCH easier and it is also less messy!

#5 ·
I have seen my LBS do it on my old martas. However, the guy had the $80 bleed kit that had a clamp that went over the master cylinder to collect the fluid you were pushing from the caliper.

#6 ·
push a little fluid, draw a little fluid at the reservoir. repeat over and over til you've flushed the system thoroughly. make sure to keep the port at the bottom of the reservoir submerged in fluid, don't draw off too much at once.

take your time. these brakes are a bit finicky and require patience.

#7 ·
Buy a used master cylinder cap, get creative on a threaded bleeder, drill hole in cap then tap to fit bleeder. Hopefully the old cap you bought has a diaphragm if not you can make a gasket from a old inner tube or possibly a O-ring. You can now bleed with one hand. :thumbsup:

It looks like the Magura is allot like a moto, is their any reason you cant gravity bleed??:confused:

#10 ·
Zachariah said:
Good question, why not? Anybody done it the automotive way?
Looks like the answer is do it the Magura way or no way. :rolleyes:

If it's like a Shimano which it looks to be it is the same as a moto or auto, Gravity bleed down. The caliper to master theory is bubbles rise therefor push them up. Their is also the scare of sucking a bubble through the bleed hose. If their is fluid in the hose how is it going to suck air? :crazy:

Give it a shot and report back, you'll be a first if it works which it should. Just dont let the Magura guy read it cause you'll be an out cast. :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.