mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Synthetic DOT 3 & 4 Brake Fluid?

I'm getting ready to install a new set of Formula Oro K24 brakes. The manual calls for DOT 4 brake fluid. I stopped in at Autozone and the closest thing I could find is a bottle of "Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3 & 4 Brake Fluid". Is this the right stuff? This is my first time installing brakes, so I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks for your help.

A bike brought me here!
    That was an interesting question so I Googled it.... Said the DOT designation is a temperature thing and is based on polyethylene glycol.... So I would think a DOT 3-4 would be acceptable, something like all season oil!

poikaa
    "I don't ride a bike, I'm the pilot!"

Never trust a fart
    You can use DOT 3/4 OR DOT 5.1.

Do not use DOT 5. Its not compatible with the others.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the feedback folks. Now for the installation adventure!

A bike brought me here!
    Keep us up to speed about your "fluid" brakes!

poikaa
    "I don't ride a bike, I'm the pilot!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    OK, I finally had time to install the brakes. Turns out they came with brake fluid in them. After I got the rotors, calipers and levers all installed I found them to be a little too soft. Especially the rear brake. The lever reaches all the way back to my other fingers that are resting on the handlebar grip.

Since I ordered the Formula bleed kit, I thought I would go ahead and bleed the rear brake to see if it was an air bubble problem causing the "softness". I definitely got some air bubbles out while bleeding, but after I finished and set them back up to operate, they were still way too squishy.

I know there is a usage requirement for the brakes to "bed in" and functional optimally. But I was under the impression that this was more a matter of stopping power and not really lever position. Each lever has an adjustment screw that can be used to adjust the lever position. I've pretty much maxed these out, which has helped but the levers are still too soft.

Any advice on how to adjust them so there is less play in the levers?