mtbr member
    May 2007

Switching from XX to XT

I'm switching out my brakes from my Remedy from the stock Sram XX to Shimano XT.
    The Remedy has 185mm rotors. It appears as though I will need to get a set of Shimano bridges. The Sram bridges appear to be machined to use the cup adjusters while the Shimano set of brakes won't mount appropiately using the Sram cups.
    Anyone else have this situation?
    Am I wrong here?

TIA for any input.

Rick
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Avid "bridges" should work fine with the Shimano calipers. The trick is that you don't use the silver CPS washers that are used on the Avids. The problem is that you'll likely need shorter mounting bolts unless you're confident in cutting the existing ones. The other issue is that Shimano uses a 180mm rotor where as Avid uses 185. This means that even if you buy a set of Shimano 180mm adapters, you'll still have to use the Avid ones for correct spacing.

The other issue is the size of the brake pad track on the rotor. I know Avid uses a different sized pad than Shimano, but am not familiar enough with them to say if the Avid's will work with the new Shimanos. Someone else will be along shortly I'm sure to offer advice.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I figured as much. I know the screws were not going to work. I was unaware of the rotor size difference, and that does explain some of the issues.
    It seems to me SRAM would need 220mm rotors to even come close to the braking power of the XT's, not to mention the ease of adjustability of the Shimano's.
    You also have to wonder why they would use Torx hardware. Who carries Torx wrenches with them?
    Heck, who makes a multi-tool with Torx wrenches?

Thanks for the help. I honestly do appreciate it.

Did I catch a niner?
    In a pinch I believe you can use a 160mm rear mount up front to clear a 180mm rotor. I remember someone mentioning this and myself doing it but it was so long ago I can remember if it was the front(flipped) or the rear bracket used.

The XT is a pretty strong brake and have myself gone from a 180mm to a 160mm front and this is more then enough stopping power for me, I am 220lbs naked.

You also have to wonder why they would use Torx hardware. Who carries Torx wrenches with them?
    Heck, who makes a multi-tool with Torx wrenches?
    Every multi I have owned has a T25 torx built in....
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dang.....you had me thinking, I went out and double checked my multi tools.
    Niether has a Torx. That is not to say I don't like them. They are much better than
    a standard allen, but a bike should either be set up with allens or Torx, not some
    strange mixture.
    Just another opinion I guess..

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by Broke That View Post
    Dang.....you had me thinking, I went out and double checked my multi tools.
    Niether has a Torx. That is not to say I don't like them. They are much better than
    a standard allen, but a bike should either be set up with allens or Torx, not some
    strange mixture.
    Just another opinion I guess..
    My Park multi tool has Torx. I got it just because of that, thinking if somehow I ever bend a rotor beyond where I could bend it back "good enough" I could take it off and ride slowly out.

mtbr member

your changing calipers or what?

From my experience you need the reccomended brake caliper adapter and rotor.If you look online there are numerous adapters for sale made for each make and model of caliper, it is the subtle differences in shape and offset that allow the caliper and rotor to work correctly.They do not cost much anyway.You may get lucky using the old hardware, then again you may end up with pad/rotor alignment problems? your post is a bit confusing in regards to parts ID, in general mixing up brake components can be a pain in the ass.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Update on the switch out;
    The front brake was not a problem at all. Just bought new bolts, dumped the cups, adjusted and bolted it on.
    The rear did take some small spacers mounted between the bridge and frame mount. I needed just *that* much more adjustment to make it perfect. The difference was so slight you might think it was just production tolerances, so your's may not need those spacers (okay, I used cheap washers...)
    After cleaning off the rotors with rubbing alcohol and double checking all cleances I'm now ready to take it for a ride.

mtbr member
    how did that go?