mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Switching brake lever? Front/Right Rear/Left

I'm thinking about switching shifter and brake. I want to use one finger to brake and it looks like it's better to take out everything and put brake, shifter and handle in that order. Since I have to take out brake lever, I thought about why not switch lever too?

I used to ride motorcycle where right hand modulates front brake. Although I'm getting along fine(I think) with current set up, I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle again in year or two(hopely wife OKs it) I'm thinking that I'll be getting so used to my brake set up now by then, it will confuse me the hell out of me once I get a motorcycle. Especially so that I'll be riding both my MTB and motorcycle oftern.

Switching out won't be problem but I've noticed more exposed parts on bottom of lever than top where it only has one pivot point that is covered as shown in picture below pointed with arrows:

BOTTOM

Will this have any ill effect? I'm thinking that downside is more dirt will be trapped in there and water will sit there till it drys up which I would think it's bad thing.

Any thoughts?

TIA

I <3 dirt
    You can simply keep your levers where they are and swap the cables from one lever to the other.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hahahahaha I guess you can tell I'm a noob! I should have thought about that while placing arrow on picture. Didn't really think through things.

Thanks!

I <3 dirt
    It's all good....everybody has to start somewhere!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Machinist
    I like motorcycles also and have contemplated for years about doing same swap on my bicycles lol

mtbr member
    swap the cables or just leave them the way they are and just learn the difference...ive been riding dirtbikes and bicycles forever it seems without problems
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I switched all my bicycles to "moto" style also, because I am used to riding/racing motorcycles. Just be sure to tell anyone that takes your bike for a spin!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Like switching the month/day around in your date format, i have no idea why you guys run brakes "backwards".

Horses, courses, etc. At least it's not all set in stone, the choice is always there.

I <3 dirt
    Like he said; motorcycles have the front brake on the right. It's also how most englanders ride.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I've been putting the front brake on the right side of my bicycles since 1982. Couldn't ride them any other way. I personally like it. I ride motorcycles also.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Front brake on the right here also down under in Australia.
    Totally confused when I got on a friends bike with the brakes the other way round!

mtbr member
    All of my bikes are set-up moto style. I'm used to it from riding dirtbikes & atv's. I just have to let my buddies know, so they wont have a mishap when they ride my bikes.