mtbr member
    May 2012

Switched to SLX Hyrdros

Happy Friday everyone! I know for me it is, as I just swapped out my Avid BB7s for a set of SLX M675 IceTech hydros with IceTech rotors. After just over a year on the BB7s, I got tired of the constant pad adjustments and rotor rub. It took me a little longer to install the SLXs, as I had to finesse the new rotors a bit due to Blu Sky's no frills packaging. After setup, I did a couple of sprints up and down my block and needless to say these brakes are amazing.

Anyway, on to my question. I'm going for my break in ride tomorrow morning. After I bed the pads, how firm are the SLX levers supposed to feel? I had my BB7s with SD7 levers setup fairly firm, with a relatively short lever throw and almost instant pad engagement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Switched to SLX Hyrdros

I run SLX Ice 203mm front and 180mm rear. (I'm a clyde). This is The best way I can describe the way my brakes felt after bedding. Very powerful but never twitchy. I can always apply as little or as much pressure as needed to slow down/stop with out locking up. OR. Grab it all and lock them up. I have very short reach set but I have never felt out of control with the stopping power. I have never felt like I would over brake by mistake. Not sure if any of this makes sense or not. But is all I got. Hope it helps answer your question.

mtbr member
    What kind of deal did you find on them? I've never lacked for brakes with my mechanical brake set up, but I do love the modulation of good hydraulic brakes. SLX typically ends up in my pricepoint.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice choice on the SLX! I've had mine for 6 months now and I've had zero problems and I haven't had to adjust anything since the day I installed them. Mine don't feel really firm but they still feel powerful and smooth with great modulation.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks guys!! Just got back from my initial ride with the SLXs and I'm still grinning from ear to ear. I did a set of flat pavement sprints and a few downhills to bed the new pads. After that, I did some gentle pavement riding to get my lever reach set and used to the hyrdro feel. Then I went out on some nice singletrack and had a blast!! These brakes have a much softer lever, but they are way more responsive than my old BB7s. Plus, they seem to be way easier on my hands. Needless to say, I'm extremely pleased.

SeaHag, to answer your question, I purchased the SLX brakes and rotors online from Blue Sky Cycling. There is a sale going on that ends the 12th, where the brake set is $89 per and the rotors are $45.

Rub it............
    Love my SLX's. Using a 180 Alligator rotor up front and a 160mm Sram CS 2 on the back. Going to order a set of the XT rotors soon.